Krag RIA Ammo Leather Case

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Krag RIA Ammo Leather Case

Post by Whig »

The black is the leather dye. Insides were not dyed and remain brown. Maybe this helps! I still have to get mine out and check it with Dick's info.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, that makes sense, thanks Whig !

Did you see the email I sent you about the two early Springfield M1903 serial numbers?

Whig

Post by Whig »

It went to the wrong e-mail fro some reason. Haven't gotten to the books yet.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I think I pulled the email off of your member profile from here and I just resent it to the one that you told me previously to use.

My mistake, and I appreciate your assistance as always!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hammer - Is there a year-date and inspector's initial on the 'flat' end of your cartridge box?

Does a .30-40 cartridge fit well into the cartridge loops?

The interior of a .30-40 box is shown in attached photo.
Attachments
McKeever .30-40.jpeg
McKeever .30-40.jpeg (643.54 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

There’s no date on the flat, I checked that after I saw the picture of yours. And here’s the inside of my case different and it’s different From the one you show. I’m just curious, could this case have been carried over from you from the trapdoor and used by a soldier with a Krag?

Looks like I should have been posting this leather case on the trapdoor site 😎
Attachments
IMG_6273.jpeg
IMG_6273.jpeg (77 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

While not impossible, using a TD "box" for Krag would not be the best fit - that is why the Krag boxes are slightly narrower and taller, in the same sense that the .50-70 McKeevers (rare) were wider/longer. The pic above showing two tools in one box would not work in practice. And - belatedly - such items are pretty universally referred to as "cartridge pouches" rather than "leather cases". The McKeevers (which come in MANY variations of interior, even stampings) and were the last and best style, having been preceeeded by various CW items (then called boxes) through the Dyer, Hagner, and Frazier pouches. Somewhere, I even have an experimental "King's patent" folding pouch made from one piece of leather. Oh, and then there were the all-leather Hazen loops (worn in pairs) for the M1874 garrison belt, made at both RIA and Benicia, which are now quite rare. Guess I'm going to have to take a few pictures . . .

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Richard, my apologies for posting a needlessly confusing photo.
My picture actually shows a portion of a .45-70 pouch lying on top of a .30-40 pouch.
Just 1/2 of two different boxes are visible.

The 1897 Krag tool is in the .30 cal. pouch. The trapdoor tool is in the .45 cal. pouch.
The 1879 tool is just inserted in a .30 cal. loop, because it just didn't work with any McKeever pouch.
Attachments
two different box lids.jpeg
two different box lids.jpeg (251.69 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, fie on ME for not seeing it was two boxes!! To say nothing of the fact that there is no retainer in the outer bulge . . . sometimes I answer too quickly.