Stomperud - Stupid question

European Krags
GreigM

Stomperud - Stupid question

Post by GreigM »

I have a M1943 and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to work the safety on the rear of the bolt.

Can anyone help me out?

Dick Hosmer

Re: Stomperud - Stupid question

Post by Dick Hosmer »

NOT an expert on the foreign Krags - not even close, but:

(1) perhaps it will only engage when the rifle is cocked?

(2) perhaps, if it is worn, or the slot is buggered, you must pull the cocking piece slightly to the rear before lever will flip over?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick brings up a good point.

Possibly, your Sear and Cocking-Piece 'Notch' surfaces have been stoned & polished or altered.
This could result in the Cocking-Piece no longer being held rearward enough so that the Safety-Lever is free to swing and engage.

As Dick suggested, pulling rearward on the Cocking-Piece may allow the Safety to be rotated into the "Safe" position.

The Norwegian and U.S. Krags are like "Close Cousins", (parts are not interchangeable, but, identical in function).

Attached are some photos of U.S. parts, showing how trigger/safety/cocking-piece 'working surfaces' interact.ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Not certain on the foreign Krags either... but the US Krags can have the safety on either cocked or uncocked... unlike the 1903, which can only be engaged while cocked.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The two Norwegians I have require the rifle to be cocked before the safety can be engaged. They lack the notch toward the rear of the cocking piece you can see in BR's pic of a US Krag.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Madsenshooter - Thanks for clarifying the Safety- notch system used on the Norwegian Krag cocking-piece.

(BTW- That was not the photo I meant to use. I've replaced it).
Attached photo shows (U.S. Krag) Safety-Lever engaged in Striker-Rod 'Fully-Cocked Notch'.
The black framed 'Striker Un-Cocked Notch' is apparently not found on Norwegian Krags.
The U.S. Krag can have the Safety applied with the rifle un-cocked. This locks the bolt closed.
(The chamber should be empty, when the striker & firing-pin is forward).
Attachments
a_Krag_Safety_applied-2ed.jpg
a_Krag_Safety_applied-2ed.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 519 times