Krag ID help

European Krags
ekuzio

Krag ID help

Post by ekuzio »

Hello all,

I recently was given a Krag from my grandfather. He told me that it has been converted from 6.5 to 7mm cartridges for ease of access to ammunition back when he was using it for hunting in the 60's.

My preliminary research has led me to believe this Krag is originally Norwegian but that is about all I can figure out at this point. I also know it has been modified/cut down as the barrel measures to 23 inches, and the stock has obviously been significantly modified. There was also an aftermarket sight attached which is the culprit of the two holes near the bolt.
I am especially curious about the "S" in the stock just in front of the trigger guard as I have not seen anything like that in my searches so far.

Any further information you all can provide me with would be awesome. Also if anyone has a clue what the roughly estimated value of a modified rifle such as this would be that would be great to know. Thank you all so much in advance for any help you all can provide. ImageImageImageImageImage

Knute1

Re: Krag ID help

Post by Knute1 »

Ekuzio, I am not an expert on European Krags (yet). Still researching US Krags. But let me say: what a wonderful rifle to receive from your Grandfather.
I see that it was converted to 7x57mm (7mm Mauser).
I am sure other members will have some answers for you in a bit.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ekuzio' - Welcome to the KCA Forum - Neat story on your 'family Krag'.

Your Krag, #57696, started out as a Norwegian Model 1894 infantry rifle. It was built in Norway at the Kongsberg Vappenfabrikk (Arms Factory) in 1902. The mark above the date on your receiver-ring is a Crown and stylized "K".

Your Receiver, Bolt, Barrel, and Stock all have numbers that match.

Since your barrel was originally bored and chambered for the 6.5X55mm cartridge, I would suggest having a knowledgeable gunsmith or 'gun guy' check the chamber and bore to verify the correct ammo.
(If you have any cartridge cases, that were fired in this gun, that would help the identification process).

The 6.5X55mm 'Swedish Mauser' cartridge case is of larger diameter in the 'Head' and 'Case Body' area than the 7X57mm Mauser cartridge case. (Of course the 7mm bullet is larger in diameter than the 6.5mm projectile).
I don't know the meaning of the "S" on your Stock.

Because the barrel and stock are 'cut-down', sights are changed, and two holes are drilled & tapped into receiver, value is based on utility. IMHO - about $200 to $275.
Most collectors don't want altered rifles.

BTW - Norwegian Krag barrels have a Left-Hand Thread.

Attached picture shows the original appearance of the Norwegian Model 1894 rifle. (Some early ones were built on contract by Steyr in Austria).Image

ekuzio

Post by ekuzio »

Thanks so much for the quick responses guys! I definitely am thankful and appreciative of the gift he passed down to me.

Butlersrangers, I sincerely want to extend my gratitude for the information you provided. Knowing just a little more about the history makes it that much more interesting, and I have you to thank for that. I figured the value would have taken quite a hit due to all the changes, but I appreciate your assessment regardless! I will also take your advice about having the gun checked out as I want to be sure the structural integrity is sound before attempting to put anything down the barrel of a 117 year old rifle.

On my first picture, if you look closely the barrel is stamped 7x57 underneath the serial number with some initials, but I rather not just take the stamps word for it. Thanks again!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Yes, I see it now: 7X57 MM

There are also 'vise marks' on the receiver and barrel.

Likely, the barrel was taken off, one thread machined off the breech, and the barrel re-bored & re-chambered for 7mm Mauser. (This would be the safe way to alter the barrel/chamber).

Altered photo shows 'vise marks' (orange) and gap in wood channel from barrel being moved-back (green).Image

ekuzio

Post by ekuzio »

Ahhhh so thats what those marks are. I was definitely curious about those but what you said makes perfect sense. Its a shame it dug into the metal so much as it looks rather unsightly imo. Thanks for taking the time to edit that picture! Very cool.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

It seems to me the marks are from the time the two holes were drilled on the right side of the receiver by the bolt handle.

The one mark on the barrel seems out of kilter from the two on the receiver so I would go with bultersrangers assessment.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The 'Jaws of Death' - Pipe Wrench?Image

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Slugging the bore and doing a chamber cast will resolve any caliber change questions. Not sure how much difference in pressure between the original 6.5 versus 7mm Mauser but modern 7mm ammo may be a bit hotter than the action was designed for. If an issue the 7mm is easy to reload and brass and bullets are readily available.

ekuzio

Post by ekuzio »

Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to have it looked at thoroughly by a gunsmith before I do anything with it.