What is this?

European Krags
Cougar9495

What is this?

Post by Cougar9495 »

I recently acquired this rifle from my father. What is it? What is it worth? Thanks in advance for your help.ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: What is this?

Post by butlersrangers »

'Cougar9495" - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your rifle is a Norwegian Krag in 6.5X55mm (aka-the 6.5mm Swedish Mauser cartridge).

It is configured like a Norwegian 'Cavalry Carbine model 1895'. The Sling appears correct. The 'muzzle cover/sight protector' may be correct, but, your picture is too fuzzy for me to tell. It would be good to take a close-up picture of the front sight (and protector) with the device removed.

Your action was made at the Kongsberg Vappenfabrikk (Norwegian Government Arsenal) in 1897. Your arm is a bit confusing, because, receiver #24688 made in 1897 should be a model 1894 Rifle.

Model 1895 Cavalry Carbine production, according to my reference, did not start until 1898 and went serial number 1 to 9,280.

Perhaps your Krag was a Model 1894 Rifle that was rebuilt as a Model 1895 Carbine. I do not know if this was done officially.

Typically, Norwegian Krags will have the last three digits of the serial number appear on the bolt, stock, trigger guard and barrel-band. (BTW - Your barrel-band is on backwards. The sling-swivel should be on the left-side).

The value of your Krag would be greatly influenced by 'matching numbers', condition of the bore, and if the Stock finish is original. (Your Stock appears refinished -'sanded & too glossy' - in your pics). A sling and muzzle-cover, if original, add value.

FWIW - I would guess your Norwegian Krag to be worth: $200-250, (if it's just a refinished, mixed-parts, utility gun), or $500 and up, (if it's a correct arsenal built carbine, the bore is excellent, the part numbers match, and the Stock finish is original)!

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For comparison, here's an 1895 carbine from the Kongsberg museum website. http://www.kvf.no/vaapen.php?type=Rifle&weaponid=RIF0097

img

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Interesting Rifle.

I agree there are a few odd components. It does look like an M1895 Karabin. My reference books also show that model started production in 1898.

A true M1895 Karabin receiver ring is covered by the short wood upper hand guard in the area your rifle's serial number is stamped. The rifle receivers are date and serial number stamped on the top of the receiver ring like yours. The M95 Karabin serial numbers are stamped on the right side of the receiver near the bolt handle recess.

So I also think it is a parts gun. But still very interesting! I would be happy to have it in my collection as it is.

The stock looks to be an original unmodified M/1895 Karabin item, which is a much sought after part for collectors who may be reconstructing a sporterized or damaged M95 Karabin

The forward barrel band is installed incorrectly or reversed. The sling swivel should be on the left side of the Karabin so the bolt handle and magazine loading gate don't dig into the soldier carrying it on the sling. Just slide it off an turn it around.

Cat Man

Cougar9495

Post by Cougar9495 »

Thank you guys very much. The serial number on the bolt (889) does not match the receiver. The story goes that my father bought this gun from a friend of his who immigrated from Norway. This gun was handed down from his father who fought in WWII. The father was posted on a fence line when 3 German soldiers walked by and were ambushed. One German was killed and this rifle was picked up off of his body. It had only 1 bullet in it. I have no idea how credible the story is. Image