A small trip to Norway

European Krags
Glenmorangie

A small trip to Norway

Post by Glenmorangie »

After some kind assistance from Tom Butts, and from a local friend with better woodworking skills than I have, here is the current state of the Norwegian Department of my Scandinavian collection. I though this might provide some holiday entertainment to carry us through the Winter, while we look forward to shooting weather:

Top: 1894 Rifle, 1917 Kongsberg. Receiver, bolt, barrel, loading gate matching. Parkerized barrel, some re-blueing on the loading gate. The barrel is in good condition. As soon as I get some shooting in I will report on that.

Middle: 1912-16 ( or 1912/3 by Brophy ). 1915 Kongsberg manufacture. Non-matching. 4 digit serial receiver. The barrel is poor. The stock has been sanded and refinished ( the serial is barely visible ) and has had cracks repaired. Interestingly, it appears to have an original leather sling. Shooting report to follow on this one, too. I have a long haul to get this one cleaned up.

Bottom: 1912-18 ( or 1912/4 by Brophy ). 1923 Kongsberg manufacture. All matching. Bolt, receiver, sight, front ring, buttplate and stock. Clear proof mark on the stock. I have not had it apart to check the barrel. I am reluctant to look. The barrel is poor. I am also reluctant to take this one to the range, while I intend to shoot the other 1912.

M1916 bayonet, manufactured in 1920, according to the serial number. The serial of the scabbard matches. Proofs and acceptance marks present. Generally fair condition. Somewhere along the line, the kids got a hold of it and chopped some nails. There are several nicks in the blade.

M1916 Kort bayonet. 1942-1943 manufacture? Crown over K proof, no serial number. Sold to me as an M/1894 with the 1912, I was too ignorant to know the difference. I have no idea whether the Kort or the original might be more rare today. 34,000 Korts made, 140,000 M/1894s, but who knows, the Norwegians might have sold them all for use as tent-stakes, or scrapped them. like the Finns did.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: A small trip to Norway

Post by butlersrangers »

'Glenmorangie' - Nice collection of Norwegian Krags. Thanks for sharing!

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

+1, awesome Norwegian collection. I have never seen one in person at my local gun shops or gun shows.

Thanks for sharing

Glenmorangie

Post by Glenmorangie »

Thanks!

I *have* been very fortunate in finding them. I found all three locally. The 1894 action I bought as a sporter and got the stock and hardware from Tom.

The 1912-16 was my first purchase. It was listed on Armslist about 90 miles away.

The 1912-18 I was able to find from another local collector who also sold me an M/24 Finn Mosin with a Bohler-Stahl stepped barrel. That is also where the Kort bayonet came from. The long bayonet I also saw listed on Armslist.

Karabins show up on Gunbroker from time to time. I do believe the 1894 Rifle is the only one I have ever seen. Is is sort-of-bubba'd with the reblueing and parkerizing, but remained uncut. It also has a much better bore than either of the Karabins. All of them probably shoot better than I can, anyway, regardless of bore condition.

Keep your eyes open! I hope you get surprised like I did.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I only ever had a model 1912 Karabin that was sportered. The bore was rough. It could not stabilize 139 grain spritzers (Korean made factory ammo). At 50 yards, I was hitting paper, but, some of the projectiles were going through the target sideways!

I regret not buying a pristine, all matching 'Mountain Karabin', about 40 years ago at a local gun show! Norwegian Krags were priced a lot lower than U.S. Krags in those days.

(Caution - Remember Norwegian Krags have a 'left-hand' barrel thread, should you ever consider re-barreling).

BM1455

Post by BM1455 »

Nice collection.