Help!

European Krags
E.M. Betting

Help!

Post by E.M. Betting »

Dear sirs
I am new to this Forum, and dutch so forgive me my bad spelling
Two years ago I bought a Krag Jorgenson caliber 6,5x55.
I needed two years of practice and trying to find the best load for the ammo. I am glad to say that I may have found heaven.
What a fantastic gun.
Here comes the problem: I live in Holland, we have very strickt regulations for owning a gun. We can only use it for sport-shooting.
The kind of sport-shooting this Krag can be used for is called here Veterans Rifle in Germany they call it Ordonanz-Waffen. We can only use rifles that were manufactured before 1950 and used in a Army in any part of the world. Well Norway was involved in WWII, thats my luck.
The rifle I own has a date on the chamber: 1922, the riffle number is 151157, and the bolt number is 397.
I can't find what category this rifle is. Is it a sniper? is it assembeld forom different parts by some norwegian guy who had to parts on a shelff. What I need to know is it a Military rilfe. The price I paid was 100 Norwegian Crowns that is 12.50 Euro in dollars it is 16 dollars and 90 cents. Not a bad trade, but if I can't use it for sportshooting the gun is worth nothing. I attached a foto, more detailed foto's will follow.
Hope you can help me. If it is a sniper rifle, I am the luckyest woman in the world, because that is allowed for sport-shooting here, if not (*&%)
Best greeting E.M. Betting, Assen Holland

gunboat57

Re: Help!

Post by gunboat57 »

Hello, E.M. Betting and welcome!

I searched on the internet for serial numbers for the Norwegian Krag and found this website:

http://www.exordinanza.net/schede/Krag-norvegesi.htm

Your number 151157 seems to be for a model M/1894 rifle made in 1922.

But near the bottom of the webpage is a picture of a target rifle similar to yours. The caption reads in English:
"The rifle M/25 was produced from 1925 to 1950 in 2274 specimens, while the version M/30 from 1936 to 1951, a total of 854."

Perhaps your target rifle was made from an M/1894 military rifle?

There are people on this forum who know a lot about Norwegian Krags so we should hear from them soon.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dear E.M. Betting: Welcome to the Krag Collectors Forum. I believe your Norwegian Krag started life as 'gunboat57' describes: "a Model 1894 Norwegian Infantry rifle built in 1922". It is likely that a Civilian owner sent this M1894 Rifle to the Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk, or to a private gunsmith, to have it converted to a Sharpshooter's (target) rifle similar to the Model-1930 pattern. It appears you have a very nice military style target rifle with diopter sights that are worth much more than you paid for the rifle. I hope you get some responses from knowledgeable Norwegian collectors. Hopefully, there is a shooting classification that allows you to shoot your rifle as a Service Rifle converted to Match/Target rifle use. You appear to have a very nice rifle chambered for a fine cartridge.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

considing the history of your country, your rifle say service with your Militry and or with the German Military in your country. If you are still not sure, i would go to one of the groups that host the events and they can give you more information. As a few others here stated, you rifle started Life as a 1894 rifle and then was later converted for just the pourpose that you have it now. I hope you get to enjoy your rifle and shoot it well. Keep us posted.

E.M. Betting

Post by E.M. Betting »

Goodmorning to all of you
Thanks for the response, on the website http://www.exordinanza.net/ there is a rifle just like mine, it is written in frech and italian.
I have to translate it, an you wil hear from me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

E.M.Betting: If this is the picture you are referring to, there appear to be similarities to your rifle. However, your stock appears to have a slightly different shape and is of laminated construction. Lt.Col. William S. Bropy pictures a similar rifle in his book, 'The Krag Rifle', and describes it as "Sharpshooter's Rifle M30". Franklin B. Mallory also pictures a similar rifle in his book, "The Krag Rifle Story". He captions it "Model 1930 Sniper's rifle" and states "Later specimens of this rifle have a laminated beech stock that resists warpage better than solid wood".Image

E.M. Betting

Post by E.M. Betting »

Hello there
It has been a while, since i visited this forum, but I have been very busy with practice. One week ago we went to Denmark for a short shooting vacation. They have the perfect lanes there. 100-200-300 and 600 meter lanes. What a nice country.
I would like to share with you my latest results on a 100 meter match. Wow what a great rifle
With friendly regards
E.M. BettingImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

E.M. Betting:

I'm glad you are enjoying your Krag target rifle. Nice shooting! As we say in America, that one is a 'Keeper'.