firing modern ammo in an 1894

European Krags
vonrichthofen

firing modern ammo in an 1894

Post by vonrichthofen »

I have an 1894 Norwegian Krag dated 1917, which I have cleaned up and am wanting to shoot. I've spent the better part of several weeks of free time researching ammo for this rifle. I must admit as a black powder shooter of over 30 years, that I am somewhat confused as to the safety of firing currently available 6.5x55 ammo in this rifle. Some say its fine, some say the rifles made in the 20th century are of better steel and this ammo would be fine, others say the modern ammo is too hot and too much pressure for the 1894's. So I thought I would pose my question here. I havent had too much luck with the search feature in answering my question. I have my Krag all cleaned up and ready to go. The action is just so much smoother than my 1903 Springfield, that I'm looking forward to firing it. Thanks folks.

butlersrangers

Re: firing modern ammo in an 1894

Post by butlersrangers »

'vonrichthofen': Welcome to the Krag Collectors Forum!

If you go through the 'back pages' of the KCA Forum, you will find threads with the same debate. You will also find that some people question putting current factory 6.5 X 55mm ammo through a Model 1894 Swedish Mauser.

My personal view and practice has been to use Norma and some PMC factory ammo in a Model 1912 Norwegian Krag and my Swedish Mausers to get a 'brass base'. I have then reloaded these cases with 'starting - loads' to keep pressures low. I also back off my Re-sizing Die one turn, so that I'm 'neck-sizing and not over-working the brass.

A common view is that the Norwegian Krag has very good steel and metallurgy, but, should not be given a steady diet of factory ammo, some brands of which, run on the 'hot' side. (This is wise - IMHO).

A lot of Norwegian Krags have mismatched bolts. Mine did, but, the condition of the action/bolt metal was quite good (the bore was terrible). There was no suggestion of excessive wear or head-space problem. I scrutinized each cartridge case, after firing, and there was no indication of excessive case stretching or pressure signs.

vonrichthofen

Post by vonrichthofen »

butlersrangers, thank you! I would not be firing this 1917 stamped 1894 often, but wanted to try it out. I saw some 6.5x55 swedish ammo at Bass Pro and was wondering if it was safe to use in my Krag. I was leery as I've been a black powder military rifle shooter for over thirty years, and I've seen some beautiful muzzle loaders blown apart by improper ammo, usually guys duplexing smokeless and black powders. I really dont enjoy reloading, as I got a belly full of it reloading for my black powder cartridge guns. I just wanted to pick up a box of modern 6.5x55 to try it out. Think it's safe to do so?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If a Norwegian Krag action appears sound, I personally would feel safe putting a box of Norma factory ammo through it, from time to time. Inspecting each case after firing for pressure signs, which I do with all my 'bolt guns'.

How is the condition of your Norwegian Krag's bore?

p.s. The 6.5X55mm cartridge is a sweet one to reload! Not fussy at all and plenty of safe data.

vonrichthofen

Post by vonrichthofen »

I appreciate your spending the time with me on this! What I'm looking at using is the Remington 6.5x55 Swedish. Here are the specs per their site:
Muzzle velocity: 2550 fps
Velocity at 100 yards: 2353 fps
Velocity at 300 yards: 1984 fps
Muzzle energy: 2021 ft/lbs
Enegy at 100 yards: 1720 ft/lbs
Energy at 300 yards: 1224 ft/lbs
The action and bore in my 1917 marked 1894 is in very good condition, and all the serial numbers (116055) match.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

What bullet weight does Remington use?

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

The only Remington offering I find is 140grn.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Being U.S. based, Remington should normally load to SAAMI specs, which call for a maximum average pressure of 46,000 cup in what they call "6.5 Swed. Mauser." This is within the designed range of the Norwegian 1894 Krag.

Bjarne

Post by Bjarne »

Hi
Asuming that the Remington ammo is loaded whit a 140 grain or ligter bullet it should be ok to use on regular basis, but as known asuming kan be the motter of F--. the 6,5x55 was originaly loaded to a preasure of max 3500bar and this is the SAAMI standard hovever europen ammo is loaded to CIP standards and it states 3800 bar as max presure. In "DFS" rooles there is set 3300 bar max Preasure for krag and Norma and Nammo loads ammo for this (using a 144 grain Sierra MK that is not for comersial sale) whit a V0 at aproks 2550fps. Hope this help you getting started.
Bjarne

vonrichthofen

Post by vonrichthofen »

You folks have been a huge help to me in getting this Krag going. Thank you all! I went through the rifle last night and have it ready to go. I found that other than the fore stock being cut off at the barrel band, it appears to be un messed with. Every component had matching serial numbers, which really pleased me. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it does on the range when I finish shoveling a path to the 100 yd. position. Regards to all,
Lothar