A Pair Of Little Norwegions

European Krags
Cat Man

A Pair Of Little Norwegions

Post by Cat Man »

Here are two interesting Norwegian Krag variations. They are both training rifle sized for young shooters. The one in the foreground is the Boys Training Rifle (more like a small carbine) in 6.5X55. The rifle in the background is the .22 Cal trainer.

The .22 trainer was a real train wreck when I got it. Previous owners had spoiled the original receiver by crudely grinding off the loading gate mounting. They heavily modified the original stock with an inlet pistol grip, a commercial butt plate and checkered it with a wood rasp. So we replaced the receiver and loading gate, salvaged a cutdown military Krag stock and rifle front band. No longer matching numbers but it's as close as I can get for now. The .22 barrel retains the original sights and shoots really great groups.

Cat Man

img

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: A Pair Of Little Norwegions

Post by Ned Butts »

Very nice rifles!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Martha lost her Boy's Rifle in 1918 when she was captured by the Bolsheviks. 65 years later she still lamented the loss. Image

svartkrutt

Post by svartkrutt »

Very nice restoration. So they are both M1906 ? Ones stock is just different looking because it was a M94?
Always looking for antique Norwegian arms.

Cat Man

Re: A Pair Of Little Norwegians

Post by Cat Man »

Yes they would both be M1906. The boys rifle receiver is dated 1907 with a low 4 digit serial number. The original and damaged receiver on the .22 Cal trainer version was / is also dated 1907. Also a four digit. The barrels, receivers and most numbers were matching, so the .22 Cal rifle was not a replacement barrel installed onto a 6.5X55 rifle. It was an arsenal built .22

The mangled receiver we replaced with a later one that is dated 1915. And yes the stock is a cut-down M1894 rifle. The .22 Cal trainer would have had the same slimmed down stock dimensions as the Boys rifle. I have considered using the boys rifle stock as a pattern to copy and have a replacement made, but I don't dare risk damage and don't want to send it off.

If anyone has a Norwegian M1906 boys rifle stock for sale, I'm you pigeon. I think the wood is called "unobtainium".

If I post a picture of the mangled .22 receiver, you will cry. So we did the next best thing and she is back on the firing line.

Cat Man

svartkrutt

Post by svartkrutt »

Hi Cat man,

I am not sure, but would not a M97 stock be a good fit?
I see there is one for auction on QXL http://www.qxl.no/pris/samleobjekter-antikviteter-kunst/militaereffekter/samlevaapen/skytevaapen/lisensfri/skjefte-til-krag-joergensen-ingenoerkarabin-m-97/v/an805724098/?IsDidYouMean=1

At any rate you have a pair of very nice carbines. Thank you for sharing.

John
Always looking for antique Norwegian arms.