6.5 X 55 1913

European Krags
JohnE

6.5 X 55 1913

Post by JohnE »

Hello all..! Several years ago I acquired a 6.5 stamped 1913 and serial number 821.

I believe it to be a model 1912...? and I also am reasonably sure its been modified, the barrel is 23.25" in length.

I am in process of refinishing the stock which I think has been cut. I have attached some pics of the action hoping someone here can fill in the blanks.....I Have read quite a bit, still am not sure of when it was made and the model. thanks, John

JohnE

Re: 6.5 X 55 1913

Post by JohnE »

Another picImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

A very small note (as the Nowegian models are not my area) but the rear sight is an American sporting addition - sadly the barrel (regardless of any length issue - was ruined, as to originality, by the filing of the monster dovetail.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

JohnE: Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I believe you are correct about your Norwegian Krag being a 'sporterized' Model 1912 Carbine.

Krag Karabin M1912, #821, was built in 1913, at the Kongsberg Vappenfabrikk. The original barrel length should be 24 inches. (Possibly, you have not measured it from muzzle to the closed bolt-face? A photo of the muzzle area/front sight would clear up this question).

The Model 1912 has a full length stock and hand-guard. It has a peculiar nose cap/bayonet lug. The rear sight leaf was mounted just in front of the receiver ring. As Dick Hosmer pointed out, the original rear sight was removed and a dove-tailed block was mounted with screws. The '6.5X55' Stamping was added by whoever did the 'sporterizing.

Your Krag is useful as a 'shooter & hunting rifle', but, beyond restoration for practical reasons. Is your bolt numbered #821 and how is the bore?Image

JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Thanks for the replies, you are right it is a 24" barrel, I was measuring to the receiver. I would like to own a unmolested version, however I am really intrigued by the 6.5 round for hunting here in AK. I had hoped to take in moose hunting on its 100th anniversary..... didnt work out....

All part numbers are 821. Were the barrels unmarked originally?

I am hoping its a "shooter" as I still plan to use it as a hunting rifle. The bore looks ok, overall its nice other than the mods. I did have a smith look at it and he seemed to think it was ok to shoot.

I have read a fair amount on using "modern" ammo, and many say not to, funny thing is I see very few pictures or articles of Krag actions that have been destroyed, unless intentional... I bought some 140 gr Herters ammo that I will give a go first.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If you stick with 'starting loads' when reloading and just use factory loads occasionally to get a brass base, you should be good.
Your 'Herters' brass is probably from the 1960s or 70s (and was made by Norma, I believe). It would be a good idea to anneal the case necks prior to reloading. If you 'neck size' only, by backing off a Full Length Sizing Die a turn, you should get very long case life. Krag actions can be fussy about bullet profile and over all cartridge length in regard to smooth feeding.
Norwegian Krags of 1913 vintage had better metallurgy and heat treat than earlier Norwegian and U.S. Krags. It's nice that your bolt number matches and your bore looks decent. Norwegian barrels are serial numbered to the action and have a left-hand thread.
Good Shooting!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Was I in error about the flat on the barrel? It appears so crudely done that I assumed (even though I should know enough not to) it was added as part of the sporterizing. It is hard to tell, because the exterior machining (I'm sure all the critical mating surfaces are spot-on) on the European Krags just does not seem to come up to the level of finish to which we are accustomed.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick, there is a pronounced flat on M1912 Karabin barrels to accommodate the heavy military rear sight base.
A commercial dove-tailed block has been mounted on this flat. There does appear to have been some grinding or belt sanding done on the barrel of this 'sporter'.

JohnE

Post by JohnE »

I will have to take a closer look tonight, I appreciate the knowledge and comments here.
The two pictures I found of a M1912 Karabin show a slightly different trigger guard...
http://www.kvf.no/guns/rifle/bilder/Rifle-Kongsberg-Krag-M1912-FMU.000927.jpg

Mine is more typical.

From Wikipedia they say "The M1912 carbine also featured an improved (strengthened) action which differed from the M/94 action on several points."

I dont know if this is accurate or pertains to this particular rifle, if so it is encouraging should I decide to try off the shelf ammo.

Is the 6.5 stamping on the barrel uncommon?
Wiki also says "About 1592 M1912 were produced in a special serial number range for sale to civilians".

Could this be one of those rifles?

Thanks...! John

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

JohnE: Are there any numbers on your Krag's trigger guard and do they match the rest of your Krag's numbers?

(BTW - Trigger guards can be switched between different Norwegian Krag models). The large hole at the front of the usual M-1912 trigger guard is to secure the large 'snap-hook' found on the Karabin sling. This hook can also be secured on the 'ring/stud' that serves as the Stock Butt swivel.

I have seen pictures of M-1912 carbines with a normal rifle style guard with a 'eye-bolt' type of stud on the left. This 'eye' was mounted side-ways, through the small hole at the front of the guard.

What style bolt handle does your Krag have? (Both flat and round knobs seem to have been used).

As I see it, there are three significant facts: 1. Your Receiver is dated 1913. 2. Serial # 821 is in the block of numbers (1 - 1,170) used for Model 1912 Karabins in 1913. 3. The flat area on the top of your barrel is for the military sight base. Only, the Model 1912 Karabin series of rifles has the rear sight that far back.

More pictures of your Krag showing details (stock, front sight, trigger-guard, bolt handle) will get better answers and stop the guess work. The "6.5:55" barrel marking is not Norwegian military. IMHOImageImage