Norwegian krag

European Krags
Mike w

Norwegian krag

Post by Mike w »

I have been given a Norwegian Krag. It took a lot of research because everyone thought it was a 30 40. The wood on top of the barrel is missing and it is a carbine. It has numbers on the receiver,barrel and rear site. It also has 1910 stamped on the receiver. It also has two notches in the groove on the left side and notches which suggest it once had a scope. The serial number starts 89... I am interested in a possible value and if there are cartridges with low pressure as it seems there is a safety problem with most modern shells?

butlersrangers

Re: Norwegian krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'Mike W' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It sounds like you may have a 'cut-down' model 1894 Norwegian service rifle, that was made in 1910 and equipped for telescopic sight.

The original barrel length should be approximately 29.5 inches. Your barrel has probably been shortened, unofficially, for Hunting.

Sigurd Halverson wrote the chapter on Norwegian Arms in William Bropy's book, "The Krag Rifle".
On page 139, Halverson commented:

"In 1910, in the army serial range 89,601 to 90,600, a thousand rifles were made with telescopes. The 4X Maal telescopic sight was offset to the left, in an adjustable mount on the left side of the rifle. For transportation, the scope and mount were contained in a wooden case.".

A few years back a gentleman, (who's name I cannot recall), did a beautiful restoration of a cut-down Norwegian 'Sniper-Rifle' and allowed us to post his pictures on the KCA Forum.
(A search of past pages should contain this generously shared information).

To undertake such a restoration requires considerable knowledge, dedication, skill, and ultra rare parts!
BTW - the Norwegian barrels have a left-hand thread!

If your action and barrel are in sound shape, it should be safe to fire standard loadings of commercial 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser ammo. Afterward, save your Brass and reload with 'starting' loads.

Photo of Norwegian action with provision for military scope mount:Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Norwegian Krags have a left-hand barrel thread.

(p.s. - I bumped the old thread showing the Norwegian model 1894 restoration and scope-mount. It now neighbors this thread).Image

FredC

Post by FredC »

Interesting to see that barrel. Extractor cut is much larger for a much larger extractor. Besides being left handed, the thread profile appears to be a truncated "V" style instead of square threads on the US Krag.

swedelover

Post by swedelover »

FREDC reference the threads on the norwegian krag styer threads are trucated and the kronsberg are square
I have that information somewhere Ill find it for reference
swedelover