Odd Norwegian receiver alteration

European Krags
butlersrangers

Odd Norwegian receiver alteration

Post by butlersrangers »

This picture was posted on another forum. The M1894 Norwegian Krag military rifle was 'sporterized' and altered to 6.5 X 54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
What is interesting are the notches milled into the receiver groove and the 'catch' below the side-plate. I am sure this must be for a detachable scope-mount, that I am unfamiliar with(?).Image

butlersrangers

Re: Odd Norwegian receiver alteration

Post by butlersrangers »

In 1910, the Norwegian Army had 1,000 rifles (#89,601 to 90,600) made with a 4 Power Voightlander scope and an offset/detachable mount. The owner of the above 1910 vintage action has this pictured scope and mount.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"JK", a Senior Member on the Gunboards Forums, was agreeable to my posting some of his Norwegian Krag (sporter) and military scope & mount pictures on the KCA Forum. The early Norwegian Sniping scope and its 'quick-detachable' mount are interesting.

ImageImageImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Voightlander made some high quality optics. I had a little 2.5 power at one time that was shaped like a German grenade. Probably pre-WWI. It made a Lyman Alaskan look like a cheap child's toy, optically. If the OP intends to restore this one, as he mentioned on another forum, there's gonna be some big bucks involved. I'd enjoy it in its 6.5x54.

svartkrutt

Post by svartkrutt »

Well it depends by what you mean by "big bucks" I now have all the parts I need, original barrel 6.5X55 with a very good bore, full length stock, barrel bands and buttplate. Including the sporter gun price the total amount to complete the restoration is $1540.00. That does not include what I will get for the selling of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer barrel. Of course once I add the cost of what I paid for the scope and mounts..... well then the total comes to "big bucks" :D
Always looking for antique Norwegian arms.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

JK: Please post pictures and report on results when your project is complete. It seems to me, this restoration is money well spent.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

There's quite a difference in the diameter of the cases. Maybe enough that some receiver modifications might have been needed to retain and feed the 6.5MS. I don't know, just thinking. Since it was originally a rarity, might be worth the investment, and the tinkering time is always fun.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"JK", (aka - 'svartkrutt'), has posted pictures today on Gunboards of his beautiful restoration. His Model 1894 Norwegian Krag 'Sniper' Rifle is a thing of beauty. It's wonderful to see a project like his come to fruition.

His postings on Gunboard's Forums, under Krag rifles of Norway, Denmark, and U.S., are worth the 'trip'!

Hep

Post by Hep »

Beautiful! ;)

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Are there any reports of the accuracy of these rifle & scope combinations?