Pictures for A Krag Book!

European Krags
skillest

Pictures for A Krag Book!

Post by skillest »

Hi guys!

I'm currently in the process of putting together a book on the Krag-Jorgensen! I'm focusing more on the Norwegian models as most English resources on the Krag focus on the American variety, and somewhat ignore the development of the Norwegian models. I also am going to include more information on the Danish trials and development of the krag, along with all the danish models that were created since I find some information on that is also lacking in English sources.

Unfortunately due to COVID its been difficult to get out there and take pictures of the rifles models that I don't have in my own personal collection. The original idea was to go to Norway and take photos at the mining museum and whatnot, but that looks like it won't be happening, at least until things start to get better in terms of the Virus.

Because of this, I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to post some high quality photos of your own European models of krags that I would have permission to use in this book? Even original equipment that was used alongside the krag like oilers, bayonets, and more would be very useful!

Besides being curious at what is out there in collectors hands, I think right now it may be the best course of action for getting photos of the vast variety of Krag models. The photos don't need to be edited or anything, I can take care of most lighting issues and whatnot myself through lightroom/photoshop. As long as the images are clear, and aren't pixelated or blurry they could be useful.

Just in case you're curious, I let you know what stuff i myself have examples of, but the more the merrier! I've got a post war German Model (Stomperud) made on an M1894 sniper receiver, a nazi production Stomperud from 1943, a M1894 (that was unfortunately cut down) and a numbers matching Danish 1889/10. I've also got a M1898 American krag, and 3 norwegian bayonets, 2 of which are M1894 bayos and another is an M1916.

If y'all would like pictures of mine feel free to ask!

I hope this doesn't come off as me being lazy or anything, I just genuinely think one of the best ways to get imagery of these Krags at the moment is to ask the online community, as travel outside of Canada to take my own photos at the moment is next to impossible. Of course you would be credited in the book in any way you want, obviously as you are the photographer.

Keep in mind that I can't guarantee that your photos would actually used, it always depends on if it would fit well in the book. But even if they aren't used I would still like to credit anyone willing to help out by posting their photos.

Thanks a ton,
- Justin

butlersrangers

Re: Pictures for A Krag Book!

Post by butlersrangers »

Justin - Welcome to the KCA Forum.
Your goal of producing an English language book on the Norwegian and Danish Krag models has merit.
I have no European Krag models with which to help your project or with photos.

I do not know if you are familiar with the coverage of these arms in Frank Mallory & Ludwig Olson's book, "The Krag Rifle Story".
There is even better coverage of Norwegian and Danish Krag rifles in William Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle".

The best work on European Krag rifles is Karl Egil Hanevik's book, "Krag-Jorgensen Gevaert", which unfortunately is only available in the Norwegian language.

I do not wish to discourage. I just am sharing some sources you should be aware of.

Attached picture of Hanevik's book and an original Danish photo, that I have, and which you may use.
Attachments
a great Krag book.jpg
a great Krag book.jpg (137.05 KiB) Viewed 9905 times
Danes.jpg
Danes.jpg (353.28 KiB) Viewed 9906 times

skillest

Post by skillest »

Hi! Thanks for the welcome, and for the Danish military picture, I'm sure that will come in handy!

It's okay that you don't have any European models, Any Krags are welcome really, as I do have a chapter on the American Krag development and will need photos of those in the future, perhaps posting another thread in the American Krag's section for those would help as well.

As per your references you listed, I am aware of them and they have helped me much in my research. Thanks for listing them anyway! I currently am still awaiting my copy of "The Krag Rifle" in the mail, which has been delayed forever, so I will get to see how expansive information is in that book. I found Mallory's and Olson's only has a couple pages of information on the Danish and Norwegian models, but is very detailed in the American Krag models.

Also, I have been in contact with Karl Egil Hanevik discussing my book, other Krag models I've run across etc., and he's helped me with any additional nformation I've come across. Of course, his work, at least from what I've seen, is the most comprehensive work on the Norwegian and Danish Krags. But as you stated previously, it is in Norwegian, which kickstarted my idea for this book. I have mostly been referencing his book "Norske militærgeværer etter 1867" which, from my understanding, is more or less an extension built off of his original Krag book he published beforehand. Though if his original Krag book is more in-depth about the Krag please feel free to let me know!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Justin - It is great that you have been in contact with Egil Hanevik. He also seems to have a great understanding of U.S. models. IIRC - He contributed content to Mallory's book, "KRS".
I believe his book, that you are familiar with, has broader coverage of Scandinavian arms including Rolling-Block rifles, Jarmann rifles, and Krags.
The Hanevik work, I recommended, likely has a deeper coverage of the Krag-Jorgensen. (I wish I could read Norwegian)!

I have found the Norwegian and Danish coverage in Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle", very good. The 'Norwegian Chapter' was written by Sigurd Halverson.

skillest

Post by skillest »

I will try my hand at finding a copy of that book then, and compare it with this current book! Thanks for the reccomendation. And if anyone else is still willing to share photos of anythin' Krag related, drop 'em here!

Bernt

Post by Bernt »

Haneviks 2nd book is basically his Krag book with additional chapters about Remington rolling blocks, Jarmanns etc..

As for photos, a lot is online in the "digitalmuseum". I search for "KRAG" and got these hits. Just keep in mind there's some mislabeled rifles etc. I don't think those doing the online registrations are the biggest experts.
https://digitaltmuseum.no/search/?q=krag

Here's the rifle that started it all. Krag made a 10 round capsulemagazine on a Jarmann rifle in the very early 1880's.
https://digitaltmuseum.no/011022699391/ ... selmagasin

Early Krag from 1892 in the experimental 6,5 mm cartridge that evolved into the 6,5x55.
https://digitaltmuseum.no/011022699399/ ... ensen-1892

skillest

Post by skillest »

Hi Bernt,

Yeah, I heard the same as well when asking about it, so it seems that I am set with his 2nd book and don't have to go find the first.

As per searching for images on digitaltmuseum, I have already been there and amassed a list of photos to use for the book, including images of some of the trials rifles, but the images or rifles aren't necessarily the highest quality or resolution. Also, that website isn't just one museum, the images are spread across multiple museum sources, and all images posted have differences in the licensing to use them. Some are public domain, some are attribution only, some are copyright, some are attribution plus payment etc. Some also require you to contact the photos owner, which can be next to impossible with some images. Basically, I can't just take any of the photos I want from there and use them. This is why I have been in contact with the museums to plan use of some images or an eventual trip to take my own photos at the museums, but figured that since COVID has put a damper in this, that it would be a good opportunity to ask the community to share their Krags. Plus it would help add a bit more variety to the book, seeing what is currently out there in collectors circles.

Thanks for mentioning it though and providing links, they may be helpful to others!

Bubblehead

Post by Bubblehead »

Hello! I just joined this site this evening to say I have a Danish and norwegian Krag and would love to send some pictures for a book! Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I can get a pretty high res camera and I can also strip them down to the smallest component if that's helpful

skillest

Post by skillest »

Hi Bubblehead! I appreciate your offer to help! Pictures of any Krags are helpful, really. Specifically, the absolutely essential ones I would be looking for would be pictures of the left-hand and right-hand sides of the full rifles, preferably on a background that doesn't reflect too much colour, so something like a black or white background. Generally laid out like this:
https://cdn1.kalashnikov.media/prod/a35 ... 6ea27cac80

Now, if you wanted to take pictures of specific features on the rifles, that would be extremely helpful! If you'd want me to get specific, here's what I would be looking for on additional detail shots:

- Up close picture of the action that clearly includes the receiver, magazine door, bolt.
- Picture of the side of the receiver and chamber for the danish Krag, that shows its serials and markings
- Picture of the chamber on the Norwegian Krag that shows it's markings, serial number etc.
- Markings on additional parts of the rifle like barrels, barrel bands, etc
- Picture of the handguard/sights on the Krags
- Pictures of the muzzle/sights
- Pictures of the trigger guard, buttplate, barrel bands, and more. The parts can remain on the rifle. For additional photos of the parts, I don't necessarily wanna put anyone through the hassle of disassembling their rifles to show those parts unless they're parts from extremely rare models. Otherwise I can generally get photos of the regular parts seen on the normal Danish and Norwegian long rifles.
-Anything else you think would be interesting!

I appreciate your offer to take photos, and hope that isn't too much to ask!

If photos are too big to upload to the forum you can always sent them to justin.bairdy@gmail.com

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

bump