Danish Krag Serial Number Data. Show Me Your Danes!

European Krags
skillest

Danish Krag Serial Number Data. Show Me Your Danes!

Post by skillest »

Hi everyone!

I have been putting together some data for my book on krag rifles that attempts to create a general organized serial numher chart for each year of production of Danish Krag rifles. I was hoping some of you may ve able to help me with this! But first, an explanation of why I'm doing this.

From my research I've found that there is no concrete information on how many of each model of Danish Krag-Jørgensen rifles and carbines were produced before the end of WW2, especially accurate serial number ranges per year of production. Even in 1966 A.N. Hvidt's estimation was based on the highest serial number rifles he had seen in only a few given years, and from my own research I've found that the numbers of rifles I've seen are different.

The lack of detailed serial number/production info for Danish Krags is due to a variety of factors. First, receivers were generally made in bulk, separately from final assembly/serializing, so it's common to see strange serial number ranges on rifles that have an earlier production date than the number range would suggest, and is common to see barrels from a later production year than the production year of the receiver.

Secondly, records of production after 1929 are almost non existent, besides mentioning of how many m/1928 and m/1928/31 rifles were probably made (300 or so, as an oversimplification). no records are kept of how many rifles began production for both the occupation rifles and the Navy contract that began in 1932 (although these were all made on 1929 dated receivers, which were all made in a mass quantity during 1928-1932, but are almost all marked 1929.)

Thirdly, carbine conversions of long rifles, which happened a lot, kept their original serial numbers. This makes them distinct from the carbines that were created during initial orders/adoption, which have their own serial number range. Therefore it makes it near impossible to determine how many carbines in total exist for each model, and not much information on them to give a good estimate. What we can estimate from 1889 receivers markings (generally thought to have ended below 127000) combined with the initial carbine production, makes total production around 135000-140000.

So far on my list I have some good records of serials for the Danish rifles that come from over 250 rifles and carbines I've managed to scrounge off the internet and from in person rifles. Although this has given me a good start, I can always use more, and I still need serial numbers from rifles that have receivers marked with certain years I am missing. The years I don't have are the following:

If anyone would be so kind, would you be able to let me know what serial number and year your rifles are? Any years are helpful for sure, but if you have rifles that were made within those years, even better! I plan to publish this list of rifles/serials in my book as well as online for free as well, once it has been finished. Also, if you guys have any other input on what I've written let me know!

Show me your Danes!

Thanks in advance!
- Justin

skillest

Re: Danish Krag Serial Number Data. Show Me Your Danes!

Post by skillest »

Welp, in the 6 days that I posted this, I managed to find serials in all years except for 1920 and 1945. Supposedly no production was done in 45, but some were done in 1920, and I can't manage to find any examples. If anyone happens to find examples of a Danish Krag made in 1920 with a serial number I can put into my list, it would really help me out. The list is currently at 430 rifles, and I have a pretty solid idea of danish serial production per year, but as stated before, more information is always better!