Danish Krag

European Krags
Kooler

Danish Krag

Post by Kooler »

I have a Danish Krag sporter that has a rough bore that leads quite easily .I will try powder coated cast bullets in it but if I have problems I`m going to replace the barrel. This rifle has the original stock but is missing the barrel jacket. I have a machine shop so I would do the work myself ,what I need to know is what is the diameter of the jacket 9 inches in front of the receiver? Thanks for a reply.

FredC

Re: Danish Krag

Post by FredC »

Can not help with that dimension, but as a machinist myself it would be interesting to follow the progress of your project. Pictures and details are always welcome on this forum. Some of the European Krags have left hand barrel threads. Research that before you apply the wrench.

Kooler

Post by Kooler »

From what I`ve read the Danes have a right hand thread. I talked about what I want to do with a friend of mine who builds museum quality reproductions of antique single shot rifles. I would like to save the barrel shank that has the markings on it but bore it out saving the threads and then turning down the new barrel to fit so that it can be secured into the original barrel shank. I would then have to rechamber and headspace . The original barrel has a fairly small o. d. because it was housed in the jacket I would turn down the new barrel to a larger o.d. to match the jacket diameter. My gunsmith friend says that this is a good plan.

skillest

Post by skillest »

It is worth noting that there are some models of Danish Krag that don't have the barrel jacket. The Engineer Carbines, Cavalry Carbines, M/1928, and M/1928/33 rifles don't have them. Make sure yours is a M/1889 or M/1889/24 carbine beforehand!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - Per Frank de Haas, "Bolt Action Rifles", the Danish Krag barrel shank has a right-hand thread.
Attachments
IMG_9001.JPG
IMG_9001.JPG (248.2 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Kooler

Post by Kooler »

It is definitely an 1889 cut down rifle some of the jacket is still on the barrel. Thank you for the barrel shank drawing.