Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Post by FredC »

Butlers Rangers, I had a friend that had a Savage with that style band. He broke the band and I fabricated a new one for him out of the black strapping used on pallets. Feeler gauge stock would have also worked but would have needed bluing to look good. Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten what it looked like.
Also his rifle did not look like that, so that style of barrel band was used on other rifles making the likely hood that it is still available even greater.
If Jim is able to make this work I am sure others could benefit from the part numbers and the experience pulling this off.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

For simply holding the barrel down, I'd use a piece of pallet strapping in a similar manner as the Savage part, but overlapped on the bottom, with a small squared piece of steel (with a threaded hole) above it. The little block could not turn, thus a screw could be fitted into an escutcheon in the forend. With that the wood is well attached and you could use a barrel-mounted swivel.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Dick,
The next time you have an excuse to that one down can you take some photos?
I looked in Brownel's catalog for the 340 Savage part #s and not there, not sure how to contact Savage to check. That system was easy and good, I am thinking how to make that Part #34, and I do have the right size collet a 1/4 x 1/2.
Looked further in the Brownel's and they have some one piece bands #593-159-004AQ 593-159-003AQ that would be appropriate for a Krag without a front sight or a removable front sight. They are cheap enough but I have no idea what the look like as the drawing is poor and small.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I have not done it, and the idea is not original - came from the Rifleman Dope Bag 50+ years ago. I could probably make a sketch and scan it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Numrich gun parts corp. was the source of the old Savage model 340 schematic.

FWIW - I searched their site and they appear to have the Savage band & screw in stock, but, not the special nut.

I have no idea of the dimensions of the Savage parts. I just always thought they had a good idea for a barrel-band, that was discrete and could be put on without removing the front sight.

A handy person could build a variation on such a band. I like Dick Hosmer's idea for trapping the nut.

A 'quick-detachable' swivel-screw, of the machine-screw variety, would be a nice anchor screw for such a barrel-band.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Thank you for all the good info. Seeing that Savage band has really got me thinking about similar alternatives if the Savagae part can't be found. Great idea to stabilize the from of my barrel landless stock.

I'll start checking around

Thanks again for your help!! RomeoJim

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Just called Numrich They have the band but not the barrel band nut or the accompanying screw. Guess I'll try Savage and may eBay again

RomeoJim

FredC

Post by FredC »

Jim,
I just bought the screw and band yesterday.
If you can be patient, I will try to make the 34? part. After I ordered the pair (screw and band) I did another mock order of 20 of the bands, I put them in the cart and got no message they were out. So they may have plenty of the bands.
Anyway if you can be the beta tester I will make the 34 part/nut and we will see if this is a good fit for the Krag. Main concern its the barrel will be a different diameter than the Savage.
In the mean time if you can get a Savage dealer to provide the whole set of parts go for that and let me know to stop.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Hi FredC,
I responded to your text a few days ago and pushed ' post message' but it obviously never posted my reply on this thread. I am certain that Savage will be of no help in obtaining a part and I truly appreciate your offer of help. Figure up a fee for me and I'll be happy to pay for something that will solve the problem.

Thanks Again,
Jim

FredC

Post by FredC »

Jim,
Several others have looked for a band or such to prevent ruining of stocks. So lets use you as a guinea pig on this with the idea it can help others.
Found the parts in the mail after hours yesterday. The screw has 1/4 28 threads. The 2 photos of the band show that loose it spreads out considerably. In the tool makers vice the inside measurement is .708 when the legs are more or less parallel. Assuming that the band will live with plus or minus .032 in barrel diameter it will go any where from 10 inches to 17 inches from the end of the receiver, with 12.5 being the sweet spot at .708 inches.
The firs thing I want to do is make a mock up and see if this is going to fit in the stock at the lengths mentioned. I have a photo of my dad's original 98 Krag with marks at 10, 12.5 and
17 inches. I have some 1/4 X 1/2 aluminum rectangle stock, if I can find it I will turn the 2 catches and measure how much it stands off the barrel. If there is room we will proceed to proceed.
Could use some help here, what say the rest, are we barking up a good tree?
Jim,
Added thought.
I went back and looked at you posted photo of your stock, can you do what I did? Put a couple of pieces of masking tape on the stock they do not have to be really stuck down and mark 10 and 12 inches with a marker on the tape. Lets see how thick your stock is in that neighborhood.ImageImageImage