Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Post by FredC »

Jim,
At what point were you wanting to attach the sling swivel? I would think You would want to be on the actual wood and not the black extension. With the thin area under the magazine box I think the attachment point from the barrel and stock ought to be close together if not 2 widely separated points of stress could bend or break the stock in the weak area. You never plan to fall when carrying a rifle but it does happen.
Parashooter's idea with the smaller Win #67 dovetailed nut is not a bad solution. Out there around 8 or 9 inches the barrel is even thicker and if it is also OK for your swivel location it could work.
Another thing that was done in days gone by was installing a "beauty ring"next to the receiver, it was a steel tapered tube and some had lugs welded to the bottom for attachment a point for a screw was run through the bottom of the stock. the beauty ring made the transition from the receiver diameter to the barrel a little more graceful but it would be a long way from your swivel attachment point.
Will you attempt to do this your self or have a gunsmith do it? Do you already have files, drill bits, a hand drill, maybe an old fashioned brace and bit, a vice big enough to hold the stock plus padding. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, I think I could do as Parashooter mentioned, file a flat bottomed groove in the barrel then do the dovetail cuts with a triangular file with a ground safe edge. If you have a nearby machine shop they will have bar ends you could practice on if not I can send you a couple. If you do not already have all this stuff, it might be less expensive to have a gunsmith do it.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Thanks FredC and everyone else for all of your input on this issue.

I found the item pictured below on ebay a while back but had rejected it because it would require the use an old fashioned military style sling with simple loops for the forestock which eliminates quick disconnection as an option and in addition would require some significant and rather precise modification of the stock to install. Butlersrangers ad posted a photo of a similar fix using a 1903 band earlier. The seller on ebay had this part listed as originally belonging to a Krag, though I'm uncertain if it actually is. However, it may be possible to make this part work with some careful stock modification. Any ideas? Image

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Jim,

This project of mine is far from completion but since we're on the subject of barrel bands I thought I'd jump on the band wagon.

The stock is an old aftermarket and the rifle is a cut down 1898 krag.

I'm shooting for a sporterized military scout style kinda look which will eventually include a long eye relief scope.

I'm still shaping and roughing things out, however, this is what I've got so far.

I used/attached ebony wood to the end of the forearm and pistol grip heel and I'm in the process of fitting the barrel band.

Eventually I'm going to inlet the back of the stock for a sling swivel. ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nothing wrong with a Krag rifle barrel-band and a full width sling.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

I'm thinking about maybe finally using that African Nile Crocodile sling I purchased a few years back... or is it alligator? :-/

Nah!... Maybe not.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Like PETA doesn't bitch enough already. Displaying the hide of an 'Endangering Animal' !!!

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Wait a minute... I believe I meant to say "Faux African Nile Crocodile Rifle Sling!!!"

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

For your penance, wear it with the rough side down.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Very nice work, Local Boy. That looks great! Will that barrel/stock band looks just like the one I have. Have you found that there is enough retention from the compression of the ring by tightening that bottom screw to permit actual use of a sling?

If not, although I wouldn't want to do this, drilling small holes on both sides of the band to enable screwing it directly to the stock would provide retention.

Any thoughts?

FredC

Post by FredC »

This thread took a funny turn with the crocodile sling. I guess bumps side down could keep the sling from sliding off your jacket in the winter.
Local boy, did you make a template to size the stock when you were working it down? I could see making a template from these fake credit cards that the credit card companies send. My thought would be to make one fit an original Krag stock then enlarge the template a little so the stock will be oversize, then gradually work the stock down fit the barrel band. Your photos look good you must have done something right, maybe you can elaborate on the procedure that you used.

Just to be clear, I was not complaining about the crocodile turn,
I got a good chuckle out of that.