Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Post by FredC »

Would not think a 98 Mauser would need one as the trigger screws are widely spaced. The stock is not so thin under the magazine like a Krag. Also it would negate the advantages of your free floating barrel.
That said another nice looking sporter.
From other posts it is allowable here to mention scripture, a very comforting one to me is when it says the last enemy death will be brought to nothing. Would also think the same applies to aging. Something to look forward to.
Looked at you post again, you sneaked it off. So many today do that for bad reasons. Doing that to improve it and go on a once in a lifetime adventure, that is different. Hats off to you.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Thank You FredC.

It is a genuine pleasure to have gotten to know you through this forum, through our email communication and while working on this project together. There certainly are lotsa good folks in this kragcollectorsassociation. Proud to be a member!

Thanks again,

Jim

FredC

Post by FredC »

For anyone interested, there is a series in the Machinist work shop magazine about adding a barrel band to a Krag. The author inherited a partially sporterized 94 Krag and finished the project. I will try to contact him to see if he will contribute to a thread here.

For anyone interested in making a barrel band and has a few machine tools in the garage it would be an good read:
http://www.machinistsworkshop.net/april-may-2020/
So many ways to skin a cat.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

this barrel band come off a krag sporter ..ImageImageImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

So many ways to skin a cat.
If I am seeing that band and clamp? correctly the clamp does double duty as a sling attachment? The screw goes into the end of the fore end?

Can the band be spread enough to go around a an original SA front sight?

sixfive

Post by sixfive »

Hello Krag enthusiasts,

I thought I would share some pictures of a barrel band I had on a 1894 Norwegian Krag sporter. Possibly another idea for the barrel band do-it-yourself. It almost looks like a Mauser type bolt extractor collar used as the band. Then a short piece of 3/8" round stock drilled and tapped through for the sling swivel stud. And a dovetail filed on the end to retain the band itself. The swivel screw was just long enough to thread between the extractor collar ears and hold tension in the dovetail when assembled on the rifle. The brass disk simply acted as an escutcheon. I thought I would share this as it only required drilling round holes for installation, not much chisel inletting. I am not sure who made this one but, it seems simple enough for a home project.

Regards,
sixfiveImageImageImage