Working with some parts

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Doco Overboard

Working with some parts

Post by Doco Overboard »

Found a 1896 receiver and an old stock that had been cut down pretty short
img
img
Made up a spacer that could be in-letted in to cover up the gap and make a decent transition.
img
Fitting a later side cover to fit the earlier action body (the juice is not worth the squeeze here but it will work)
img
Roughing in a 96 style bolt root well into a 98 stock while making sure the bedding for the whole receiver is good. I found out that by not chiseling to aggressively here you can add another contact point. There's more than one surface here that needs to be worked down together to get good fit. Kind of like the side cover but a whole lot easier because it's wood. Ill clean it up later for appearance.
img
Stripping g-96 or Linspeed oil from the old stock. This was a pain in the butt but it all came off without sandpaper
img
Throwing a little stain on prior to completely scraping with a razor blade and creating a contrast for a beginners easy to lay out checkering job complete with notebook paper template
img
img
One of the grip panels semi finished. Ill follow up with a checkering file to deepen the diamonds and then remove over runs around the border with a scraper. Im trying to follow the long leading edge of the stock and then added a diamond to the area at the top of the wrist.
img
Out of room please see next post if you would like the follow up

Doco Overboard

Re: Working with some parts

Post by Doco Overboard »

So what I did was found some donor wood from a chopped p-14 stock and formed it into a sort of for-end tip/extension. Then,I had to fix the extension to the short stock to get some decent lines all the while utilizing a rifle band that I could pull on with a sling. If the stock was longer I would have made an internal band with escutcheon that would accept a 1/14 sling swivel but this will work and help to blend everything together when I'm done. The rifle band had to be so far rearward towards the grasping grooves I was limited to what I could make work while still maintaining appearance.

img
I got some rigging and acra gel out,
img
Glued it on and then clamped it until everything was stable. What else is in there is a steel support rod glassed in between the mortises of both the Krag and P-14 stock for strength.
img

Trying for a clean black line that will be hard to see way up front.
img
Roughed in but getting there so I can begin to refinish the metal, screw the barrel on and test function. I will scrape and file then use a little sand cloth with a flat and round wood block to remove any tool marks left over from the wood work. Probably will also wind up cutting notches on either side of the stock comb as well.
img
img
Hopefully Ill wind up with a decent rifle while re-purposing some parts that will continue to carry on as a functioning sported rifle.

Extra pic.

img

FredC

Post by FredC »

Looks like you are on the way to having a nice sporter there.

I am not used to seeing threads exposed as on photo #3. Is the barrel not screwed all the way in or is something else going on there?

Doco Overboard

Post by Doco Overboard »

Yes that's correct, barrel is only screwed in hand tight. It just makes it a little easier to fit everything together with everything broke down+ its just a bunch of parts that are being put together into something usable.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Nicely done! Are you going to use iron sights or a scope? It has the looks of a nice lightweight stalking rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Doco Overboard

Post by Doco Overboard »

Itll have a banded Redfield front ramp and a peep sight. Thats what I'm going to use it for close range deer hunting in the woods.

I built another from parts not too awful long ago that has a scope on it for in the field.
img
After I get the parts polished out this is how I blue the metal. This is second coat. Boiling water and a metal finish that's like black phosphating. Other parts I do on the stove, boil some water with washing soda, pick out with wire and then clean water boil and swab on the finish once the water evaporates.
Clear water and then baking soda neutralizes the acids in the chemical or it will continue to oxidize.

No original rifles were harmed with these home work shop projects, just trying to get them shooting again.

img

Doco Overboard

Post by Doco Overboard »

Almost done, I have to make a stem for where the cut off is missing, point the checkering up and oil the stock some.

Also have to run across a sling swivel. I had to use a milled one from a No4 rifle which actually works pretty well because the stock is a touch wider that far back from where it (the band) usually rests. Theirs no left/right play in it when its tightened down so I'll probably just leave it.
Hopefully it'll be a decent shooter/deer gun.

img

img

img

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice looking 'Hunting Krag' Doco!

Project guns from salvaged parts are fun.

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

Nice work. Interested in report on how it shoots.

Kooler

Post by Kooler »

Very cool,I like the shnable (?) tip on the forestock! What did you use for the bluing? Thanks,Kooler.