First Post, FIRST KRAG!!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: First Post, FIRST KRAG!!

Post by butlersrangers »

'Clcustom1911' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Enjoy reloading .30-40 cartridges and shooting your Krag. Keep within the pressure limitations of the Krag. It is a grand and versatile cartridge. It should not be 'Hot-Rodded' into something it isn't.

Your front-sight is correct and your rear-sight is the model 1901 sight.

Your 'cut-down' stock appears to be one of the Italian walnut ones.

Your Krag would be a good candidate for restoration of the stock (length) by splicing a new forearm under the rear barrel-band.

How is the condition of the bore?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Clcustom1911... Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags! Careful, they're very addicting!

Fellow US Navy Veteran here... Where and when did you serve? I served for 13 years total (until a medical condition forced my early retirement). I did three deployments aboard USS Ranger, CV-61, including Desert Shield/Desert Storm!

We have a member, friend and fellow Camp Perry competitor here who is a US Navy LT and current F/A-18 Jock!

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

After doing just a basic cleaning of the bore which consists of pulling a .30 cal boresnake through a couple times to clean it the dust and such.... The bore actually looks pretty good with clean edge rifling and the throat looks good based on my naked eye. I used my micrometer to measure the bore diameter and they both measure out at .310". Before I go buying bullets and whatnot I'm going do a real bore cleaning and slug the bore to see if that matches.

And reference "hot rodding" whilst reloading. Have no fear, I've never been a believer in "faster is better". In my precision shooting world, " consistent is better". I tend to like my standard deviations to be under 10 fps and extreme spread to be under 30 if I can swing it with my assorted long range rifle loading.

My goal is to put a 10" steel plate at 200 yards, put my rear sight aperture at "2" and clean off a 5" center portion of that steel target. So, if that means I move a 220g round nose at 2000 FPS, cool. If that means I move a 175 Spitzer, which has a higher ballistic coefficient, at 1850 to get the same results, I'd prefer that because that would mean less recoil, less pressure (likely), and a longer time enjoying the rifle.

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Clcustom1911... Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags! Careful, they're very addicting!

Fellow US Navy Veteran here... Where and when did you serve? I served for 13 years total (until a medical condition forced my early retirement). I did three deployments aboard USS Ranger, CV-61, including Desert Shield/Desert Storm!

We have a member, friend and fellow Camp Perry competitor here who is a US Navy LT and current F/A-18 Jock!

Thanks for your service!

Hospital Mate 3rd Class, HM3(FMF) 2003-2008. Was assigned to 1st Marine Division at Camp Pendleton (wanted to go green side and eat dirt). Eventually went with 1st Battalion, 11th Marines (Artillery), 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines (Infantry). Played around in the sands of North Africa and the Middle East in 2005/2006. Unfortunately I was unable to make sand castles, but I did have some of the best and worst memories of my life there.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Aviation Support Equipment Technician, Second Class (AS2) 1980 to 1993 - After boot and A-School, NAS Meridian, USS Ranger CV-61, NASNI (North Island), and finally, NASU Christchurch, New Zealand (operation Deep Freeze in support of Antarctic Operations).

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

You saw my "classy" Krag...

Here's Bubba:

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Bubba left side:

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Bubba's receiver:

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Bubba's cut down barrel and front sight:

Kooler

Post by Kooler »

One of the good things about a sportered rifle is that you can mount a scope on it without affecting it`s value . I have the US ,Norwegian and Danish versions all were sporterized years ago and all are scoped. These 68 year old eyes shoot a lot better that way. Kooler