First Post, FIRST KRAG!!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Clcustom1911

First Post, FIRST KRAG!!

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Good morning to all,

Well, I done did it!! I got not just one, but TWO 1898's in one deal! One is a Bubba'd "sporterized" one, the other looks like it has a carbine length stock on a 30" bbl model.

A little about me: Navy veteran, currently a Police Officer and Paramedic out here in the Government controlled paradise that is the Democratic People's Republic of California( :P ). Been reloading precision rifle stuff for many moons, so my Grafs brass is going to get a workout when it arrives. Now I just need to choose a bullet for one of my assortment of gunpowders which include Alliant Reloder 16, 17, and 23 as well as Hodgdon 4350, Retumbo as well as some surplus WC857 for my 7mm RemMag stuff.

Let the fun begin!!

Attached is a pic of the 30" barrel version, all identifying marks were Polished off when it was re-blued at some point in its life. It's got a 1901 rear sight. That peep hole is small!! Image

Clcustom1911

Re: First Post, FIRST KRAG!!

Post by Clcustom1911 »

That stock used to look like this a few days and some elbow grease ago..... When I accidentally made a clean spot with some lab grade 200 Proof ethanol.Image

Whig

Post by Whig »

Well, officer 1911, welcome to the KCA! You are among a group of avid Krag lovers and we can help answer questions and get you on track to enjoying the hobby of collecting and shooting Krags to your heart's delight!

You will find a wealth of information in the forums by looking back in each category and finding what you need about collecting and shooting and reloading. We can help answer questions you have along the way.

It would help to have some more detailed and close up pictures of different areas of your Krag rifle.

It does indeed have a cut down stock that appears to have been cut down from a rifle- not a carbine stock. But, the two pictures aren't enough to be more specific. That sure is some strong 200 proof alcohol! Just think of what is would do to yer innards!

But, the finish looks to have been exposed to some high heat or chemical that caused it to blister. You probably are best to remove all of the finish and start from scratch to refinish it yourself. You are not damaging anything because it is not an original condition stock and has no collector's value. We would need to see more pictures of the rifle to tell you more about it. It looks to have an unissued front sight but I can't see enough. If there are any markings on the stock on the left side below the receiver, get a picture and show us that, also.

Having said the above, these rifles can be great shooters even if they are not original as issued by Springfield Armory. They are fun to reload for and shoot and the Krags are extremely accurate at longer distances with open sights. (Even the, yes, small peep sight!)

So, show us more. We'd love to see what you have!

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Receiver: there are no real stamps or obvious cartouche markings on the stock. I will photo more when I have it disassembled next time.Image

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Stock behind rear action screw:Image

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Front sight:Image

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Rear sight:Image

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Receiver: Letters "A" and "Y" somewhat visible...Image

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

I appreciate your kind words and there is definitely a TON of information on this site I am absorbing like a dry sponge. As far as collector value, yeah, these rifles are just for fun. They have been modified from their original state quite a bit and I am just going to shoot them and make them pretty. I'm resizing photos to get them up here for everyone to see.

One of my personal contributions I am going to do for everybody on here is to do a few rounds of load development with different powders and projectiles with assorted velocity statistical data, atmospheric condition data, and downrange performance in group size for posterity. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to load development and data logging as a side effect of trying to make little bullets fly far and hit little things out there. :)

Take care and be safe!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Wow! That receiver really has been polished down. Can you read the entire serial number? I've never seen a Krag receiver completed polished clean of the Model date and Springfield Armory Marking.

The front sight does look original, so that's good. It is brazed into a dove tail in the front of the barrel quite nice by Springfield Armory. Many have been replaced with 1903 A3 sights.

How does the bore look? I think you can check the bolt and chamber out and if it looks good, get some reloads made and shoot away! Your experience with reloading and long distance shooting will be great working with a Krag rifle.

Maybe you'll get the fever and buy another Krag in full military condition. They do have a tendency to multiply in our houses, especially when the wife is not looking!

Check out the reloading pages and see what we have been doing with reloads. Anything you can add to our knowledge base with reloading and different powder experiments will be highly appreciated. We all tend to have our pet loads but that doesn't mean we don't ever want to try something new. Thanks!Image