Mystery 'bolt mounted' peep-sight sells

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Mystery 'bolt mounted' peep-sight sells

Post by butlersrangers »

This Krag sporter sold today on GunBroker. It is more interesting than most 'cut-downs'.
(Sold by John Miller Parts, it went for just under $500, with shipping).

I was mildly interested, but, stayed out of the auction, when I noticed a fellow KCA member had the top bid. (I don't know who ultimately won the item).

Hoot brought this amazing rear-sight to our attention, back in September, 2019. Pictures of it were posted on doublegunshop.com and we marveled at the labor that went into it.

Actually, the whole "cut-down" Krag is a nice looking package with some valuable parts.

The 1894 dated Receiver was never 'notched' for a Bolt 'hold-open' pin. (There is a novel small groove at the magazine cut-off 'niche' to stabilize the 'peep' sight).

The bolt and extractor are model 1892 parts. The bolt-sleeve is model 1892.

The whole rig is too cute and well thought out to pillage for parts!

(I keep looking. I believe that is a 'long wrist' Stock)?ImageImageImageImageImage

Knute1

Re: Mystery 'bolt mounted' peep-sight sells

Post by Knute1 »

The look reminds of the Model 1917 "American Enfield".

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

I got outbid at $440, I think.
It would have looked nice with my 1903 Sporters.
I wouldnt call this a sporter exactly but a nicely done sporterized rifle.
Even without the sight Id like, but that sight is too cool. I may one day regret not bidding more haha.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rcat7147 - I was hoping you would get it!

I hope it went to a good home. It is a nicely done hunting Krag and deserves to stay together.

Such a Krag would put many in conflict and is at risk of 'being parted out'.

The sight appears unique and requires the early bolt-sleeve & safety. (It can't be switched to most other Krags).

The desirable action, bolt, and extractor are model 1892 and beg to be restored to an early model 1892 with a 'long wrist' stock and clearing-rod.

Oh, what to do!

(I hope it is appreciated, stays together, and gets used).

All kinds of ethics and judgment needed here. It sold for a reasonable price.

FredC

Post by FredC »

The sight has an advantage over the striker mounts as it does not move when the trigger is pulled. Like the rest I hope it stays together. The designing and machine work to build such a thing would cost way over $1000.00 at today's normal hourly rates.
Would guess a machinist or gunsmith made it for himself.

S99VG

Post by S99VG »

Seems to me this was the second time that Krag went up on GB. I remember seeing that sight a few months ago so it was either that gun or another one with a similar sight. Can anyone identify the sight? I certainly can't.

FredC

Post by FredC »

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555451#Post555451

This is the thread I think BR referred too. The pictures could have been his own or copied from another link?

Further down that same page is another odd sight.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=553118#Post553118
Looks to be a no drill sight, not sure who made it. The cocking piece looks to be modified also.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That Mannlicher-stocked Krag is pretty cute.

I don't think I've seen a Krag cocking-piece so drastically altered before.

The bolt-sleeve has its corners beveled, too.

The 'peep' sight on the 'Mannlicher' could be a very early (vernier) "Pacific" sight, replacing the magazine cut-off.

(The GunBroker 'model 1892 hunting-carbine', seems to have a sight that is a 'one-of-a-kind' machinist creation.
I'd love to measure it. It kind of looks like the main body could be cut from the rear of a Luger frame.
Maybe it was Leroy Rice's patent model?
The doublegun forum & GB items are the same rifle and sight).

mavt

Post by mavt »

Certainly a unique sight but for all that went into it does it do much more than the simpler Rice sight? It appears to attach at the same point - the extractor bolt hole or rivet hole on later models - but requires the hockey stick-like projections on each side to keep it in line with the bore and two screws to each side just to keep the sticks in place. The Rice sight is one piece and uses the windage "ears" for the dual purpose of windage adjustment and to maintain sight alignment. The Rice sight looks to have greater windage adjustment but the Mystery sight appears to have the advantage of dialing in repeatable elevation settings. Being one-of-a-kind the Mystery sight is the better conversation piece but in my opinion the Rice sight is the more ingenious design of the two.

Close up of a Rice sight from an older thread that screws into the extractor bolt hole and the one on my sporter that uses a bolt and nut to replace the rivet (bolt and nut are not original to this sight).
ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ned Butts must be credited for referring to this mystery crafted 'peep' sight as "a Rice sight on steroids", last year.

BTW - I agree with Mavt that the Rice sight is a more practical application of similar ideas.
Also, there's probably a half-pound weight difference between the Rice sight and the 'machinist marvel', but it's cool!