Weaver N5 Scope Mount Receiver Holes

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Stretch32

Weaver N5 Scope Mount Receiver Holes

Post by Stretch32 »

I've finally gotten around to messing with the Krag sporter I'm building up for my sister and noticed something odd that may(?) be an issue.

The screw holes for the Weaver N type scope mount side plate are drilled in the receiver (done years ago) and the forward most pair of holes are actually drilled into the barrel ring. Basically, someone drilled the holes into the very forward parts of the receiver where the barrel threads in. The holes are the same depth as the rear holes (ie: they didn't drill through the receiver) but I have some concern this might compromise the strength of the receiver. '

Has anybody body seen side plate holes drilled here and, if so, is this safe? I assume the chamber of the barrel absorbs most of the stress from firing so there's probably not a lot of force into the receiver / threads but it looks odd.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

FredC

Re: Weaver N5 Scope Mount Receiver Holes

Post by FredC »

Drilling into the receiver threads is fairly common. It should not be a factor if not drilled too deep. I would not like to see a screw holes so close the edge that they threaten to break out. Photos would help see if anything is drastically amiss.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Thought about it some more the number of holes in the receiver/thread ring are probably as important as not being near the edge of the receiver front. Tried looking for examples of holes drilled in Krags and only found one and its first hole was further back. Probably more to do with eye relief and not having a large eye piece of the scope in the way of ejecting spent rounds than any issue of strength.
Ever now and again you see Mausers or other military riffles with receivers that look like Swiss cheese. With holes drilled off center with hand drills and corrective holes drilled or maybe a change of mounts. I did have a early 6.5 X 55 Mauser that was like that, it had 4 holes in the front. I was just sure not to exceed recommended max loads and never had a problem.
There was a US Krag photo posted here that had a bunch of holes in the side. Do not recall if any were in the receiver thread area. If you nose around in this sporter section you might find it. I remember feeling no reservations because of strength, that one just needed to wear a scope mount to cover them up.

Any way I still do not think one hole in the threaded area is any concern especially since they did not drill too deep coming close to breaking into the chamber. Now that would cause some excitement!

So you are in the process of building this sporter for your sister. if she would find a light scout scope to her liking there is a company that builds mounts that would fit the sight holes in the barrel. They build 2 hole and 3 hole mounts. The 3 hole would need an extra hole drilled and tapped into the barrel. Several members here have done that. If you were to go that direction just plug the existing holes.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Thanks for the reply.

The holes are definitely not at the very edge of the receiver (or drilled very deep) but are drilled into the barrel ring. I know the rifle was shot with these holes drilled (and filled) with plug screw in a previous life but that doesn’t mean much so thought I’d ask those with more experience.

At this point I’ve use an easy-out to remove the plug screws and retapped the threads back to 8-40. I’m mounting an N5 scope with an old Weaver D4 scope to build a “vintage” Sporter for her.

In the end, the goal is to build a nice hunting rifle for my Sis and learn some skills in the process.

Stretch

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Stretch32' - FWIW:

The hole spacing for the N5 Weaver mount may be the same as they used for the later #2 adapter-plate and mount.
This might give you the option for a more refined looking mount.

My guess is that your project Krag had its mount moved, as far forward as possible, in order to 'clear' movement of the safety-lever. The 'mount hole' in your receiver-ring is not likely a problem. (Most 'scoped' rifles have mount-holes in the top of their receiver-ring).

Attached are pictures of a model 1898 carbine receiver that was drilled for the #2 adapter-plate for the Weaver side-mount.
Attachments
krgcarb-1ed.jpg
krgcarb-1ed.jpg (48.9 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
krgcarb-2_011.jpg
krgcarb-2_011.jpg (135.57 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
carbine_1898_sportered3.jpg
carbine_1898_sportered3.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 8963 times

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've seen others with the mounting holes drilled forward. I have one of them. The front pair go all the way through the receiver ring. I haven't done much with it, someday it'll be a cast bullet benchrest rifle. I have a heavy contour Wilson barrel fitted to it. Anyway, as noted I have seen others placed forward and haven't noted any of them with problems. With the #2 plate, and a high set of rings I can get a really big scope on it, like a 6x24x50.