Need a picture of a handguard spring clip. Attached or unattached to the handguard.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Parashooter

Re: Need a picture of a handguard spring clip. Attached or unattached to the handguard.

Post by Parashooter »

butlersrangers wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:48 pm With thanks and apologies to Parashooter, this might work for clumsy guys, like me!
I suspect it would be harder to drill a nice hole in a 1/8" nail than it was to just peen over the flat end of one. :roll:

Warpspasm

Re: Need a picture of a handguard spring clip. Attached or unattached to the handguard.

Post by Warpspasm »

Ok.... I've been fooling around with the cut down nail and two punches this evening. I don't see this happening. Especially, trying to do it myself. So, I've been thinking. Why not cut down the nail to the proper length, then instead of trying to peen it into a rivet, just use a little dab of JB Weld to attach the nail to the spring clip? That stuff is has hard as.... well.... nails. It certainly would be easier and less likely to crack the handguard. Thoughts?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

JB Weld will likely work. You could file a groove around the nail to facilitate a better hold point for the 'glue'.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Warpspasm wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 am. . . Why not cut down the nail to the proper length, then instead of trying to peen it into a rivet, just use a little dab of JB Weld to attach the nail to the spring clip? . . .
Since classic "JB Weld" is, I think, nothing more than epoxy with some steel filings added, I wouldn't expect to find enough surface area on the tiny nail stub for a lasting bond. If you're having trouble peening the nail, you might try annealing it - perhaps burying in ashes to extend cooling time. Personally, I found my hardware-store common nails plenty soft and had no great difficulty peening enough to hold securely. Align everything carefully; maintain alignment; tap once; repeat all steps.

Warpspasm

Post by Warpspasm »

Parashooter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 am
Warpspasm wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 am. . . Why not cut down the nail to the proper length, then instead of trying to peen it into a rivet, just use a little dab of JB Weld to attach the nail to the spring clip? . . .
Since classic "JB Weld" is, I think, nothing more than epoxy with some steel filings added, I wouldn't expect to find enough surface area on the tiny nail stub for a lasting bond. If you're having trouble peening the nail, you might try annealing it - perhaps burying in ashes to extend cooling time. Personally, I found my hardware-store common nails plenty soft and had no great difficulty peening enough to hold securely. Align everything carefully; maintain alignment; tap once; repeat all steps.
I'm thinking maybe drill a little bigger hole in the steel band that will allow some of the JB Weld to also surround the nail in the band as well.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Still very little surface area for bond. Basic principle - adhesive is seldom permanent as a good mechanical joint.

Warpspasm

Post by Warpspasm »

Parashooter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm Still very little surface area for bond. Basic principle - adhesive is seldom permanent as a good mechanical joint.
Yeah, I know you're right. When I was fooling around with it today, I realized the hand guard band inletting on the hand guard was in the wrong place, because I had to modify the length to get it to work on a carbine. So, that's what I worked on this afternoon. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with attaching the band. At this point I'm even tempted to use double sided Gorilla Tape.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

They do make small steel rivets with hollow shanks. Possibly, there is something in the right diameter that can be cut to length?

Another idea might be to turn an improvised 'nail/rivet' into a split-rivet with a fine saw cut.
Attachments
a split rivet.jpg
a split rivet.jpg (2.47 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Warpspasm

Post by Warpspasm »

butlersrangers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 am They do make small steel rivets with hollow shanks. Possibly, there is something in the right diameter that can be cut to length?

Another idea might be to turn an improvised 'nail/rivet' into a split-rivet with a fine saw cut.
That might work. Where did you get the pic from? A site that sells them?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I captured the photo from some online site that sells rivets. I used the photo just to communicate the concept.

If you have some 'rivets', that you made from nails, it should be easy to cut a slot in the shanks with a hacksaw or a railroad modeler's metal-cutting hand saw.