126yr old scout rifle

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
madsenshooter

126yr old scout rifle

Post by madsenshooter »

I decided to take that Miller Kodiak Dreamount, that thing that looked like the Brooklyn bridge, off of my 92/96 sporter. I got tired of the ejection problem and figured I'd use a short Kraghaus mount to put a decent NC Star 2.75x LER scope I'd taken off my Garand on it. Looks good, eye relief isn't critical. Looks best to me just ahead of the back edge of the receiver ring. It has a pretty thick reticle, actually allows me some both eyes open viewing, the way Jeff Cooper said a scout scope should. I have a cracked and much worn 92 handguard I can repair and use on it. There were two holes added to the barrel between the standard rear sight holes, and I'll drill the Kraghaus so I can make use of them and have four screws holding the mount. I don't have many sets of 30mm rings, I could use a lower set. I have about 1/4" between ocular bell and receiver ring with the present rings. I'd like to cut that down to 1/8" or 1/16".
Attachments
DSC00086.JPG
DSC00086.JPG (142.46 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
DSC00083.JPG
DSC00083.JPG (146.94 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
DSC00079.JPG
DSC00079.JPG (139.75 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00078.JPG (144.29 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
DSC00075.JPG
DSC00075.JPG (142.62 KiB) Viewed 3098 times

Baltimoreed

Re: 126yr old scout rifle

Post by Baltimoreed »

Looks good. The Krag makes a good scout rifle. Handy and easy to cycle. I don’t guess it makes the weight requirement and it doesn’t use a box mag but so what. Like the one that I built. I added a cheek pad/pouch that puts my eye in the exact spot that it needs to be.

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

I looked at the idea of adding the ‘bridge’ so I could add a scope. I am glad to see one employed as on the scout rifle shown. I notice it retains a front sight. Would you consider removing the front sight worth doing? I ask as my 1902 rear sight sits too low for the 1903-05 front conversion. Consider the question mostly academic, motivated in part by aging eyes. I have two ‘sporterized’ Krags and really like them as shooters. Well, ok, one is a great shooter, the other needs to have that sight issue addressed. If I were to go scoped with the 1896, I would then have a 1902 sight for sale.

I appreciate the value of the rifle in any format and particularly enjoy the conversations here.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

No I wouldn't remove the front sight. I have a bolt with a Rice peep sight and I think I still have a Redfield no drill rear sight somewhere. They'd be backup in case something went south on the scope or if I simply wanted to remove it. The front sight would come off easily however, it is just swagged on the barrel. It doesn't get in the view of the scope. The only rifles I have scoped without iron sights are my AR uppers.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Another nice looking scout rifle. I would have used the longer mount and added the third screw for stability myself. Having a machine shop makes it an easy job. Your scope looks fairly light so probably you will have no issues.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I like the long mount. I sold the one Peter at Kraghaus gave me to Paul Steinmeyer. Since I already have two extra holes, I'll go with the short one. This scope is real light, and I been looking at even smaller lighter options. And, I like the idea of that much worn old 92 handguard.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I did not see a hand guard. If you are adding a nice original 92 hand guard, I can see why you want to go with the short mount. I would not go with the long one and a hand guard unless the hand guard was already broken and it lent it self to the modification.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

I own a Krag sporter and a Kraghaus mount you given me ideas???
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

It's a very worn and broken handguard Fred. It's worn enough that it goes well with the much sanded stock. But looking at the pics above, what's a 92 handguard gonna add but looks. I mean a person isn't going to be touching the barrel anyway with the scope sitting up there! It'd be a use for the poor old thing, if I ever get around to it.