A pair of Krag Krimes!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

A pair of Krag Krimes!

Post by butlersrangers »

A pair of ugly ebay offerings.
I don't know who, where, when or why? Some things challenge explanation and cannot be 'unseen'.

The first Krag has been made a DEWAT. It will be scary, if someone tries to 'weld' the action sections back together!

The second altered action gives new meaning to "magazine cut-off"! There is an apparent flaw at the rear of the bolt.

This 'lovely' must have had its original barrel-shank threaded, in order to accept a small caliber replacement barrel for a center-fire cartridge.
Likely, it was used as a single-shot and fitted to a conventional looking replacement stock.
The receiver has been drilled & tapped for a front action-screw.
Attachments
gun crime1.jpg
gun crime1.jpg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
gun crime2.jpg
gun crime2.jpg (172.03 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
gun crime0.jpg
gun crime0.jpg (322.64 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
gun crime001.jpg
gun crime001.jpg (120.62 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zac952

Re: A pair of Krag Krimes!

Post by Zac952 »

I also noticed that 1896 on ebay, I sure hope this seller did not do this so he would be able to sell the barrel without removing it from the receiver. One less Krag out there is not something I'm happy to see, let alone a 1896 receiver.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The model 1896 barrel and action could have been sold and sent through the mail intact, as a non-firearm.

The receiver's serial number documents pre-1898 manufacture and made it exempt from BATF regulations.

Unless there was some fatal metal flaw and a need to avoid a future catastrophe, there was no rationale for cutting the receiver into pieces.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

I was thinking this seller maybe have wanted the ability to sell it on eBay, however I very much hope there was some flaw or other reason this reciever was demilled. Although in that case I likely would have drilled through the bottom locking lug and welded a pin to prevent it ever being usable and had a super cool paperweight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Probably a 'Hate Crime'.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

BR your definitely right about that!

King carp

Post by King carp »

Looks like someone got a sawzall for a present and just had to try it on some real steel. A shame for sure.

FredC

Post by FredC »

One the one with the magazine removed, does anyone else see the barrel cut off with smaller threads tapped into it? Adapted to a small threaded barrel maybe? Terrible workmanship, I could do much better work with a hack saw and a file. Looks like he had no plan just started removing metal.
forward hold down screw tapped into the bottom?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Whoops Br, I see that you had already mentioned the internal threads in the barrel stub and the forward hold down screw. I scrolled down to see the ugliness too fast to read what you wrote.

What do you all make of the trigger? Maybe the plan was to weld a different shape on too the stub. Again no evidence of any plan. Someone gave him a metal cutting ax for his birthday and he just had to cut on something?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe he had some intention to adapt it to a set-trigger?