Krag sporters are now worth more than $300, maybe.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Krag sporters are now worth more than $300, maybe.

Post by FredC »

Just saw the Krag sporter at the double gun website. Maybe because a name builder sporterized it, the asking price is high.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... Post614926

Or maybe all nicely done sporters are worth more than we used to think?

butlersrangers

Re: Krag sporters are now worth more than $300, maybe.

Post by butlersrangers »

It is very difficult and risky to put a Dollar Value on anything these days', especially guns.

IMHO - The U.S. Dollar is very unstable with the Government printing money that is really IOU's, backed by the present and future wealth and credit of the American People.

Krag Part's Prices seem to be escalating, which likely causes even more of the bottom priced Krags to be 'parted-out'.

New gun prices are goofy. Some buyers are jumping into guns, uneducated and looking for a hedge on inflation.

All my collecting life, 'altered Krags' have often been unrealistically overvalued, because owners (or sellers) thought their White Elephant was something that was correct and rare.

I am blown away by the recent prices commanded by some flawed arms that should just be seen as utility pieces. By contrast some worthy collectables have recently sold for reasonable prices at national arms auctions.

Gun prices can be treacherous turf!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

That is one fine looking sporter but not $1000 fine to me. He got at least one reply so must be worth that or near that to someone.......WOW

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I knew the guy who was the original collector and I know the guy who bought it. MB, the estate owner, did not collect junk and did not collect militaria. He liked really well-made Krag sporters, many made by well-known artisans. The guy who bought it likes "between the wars" or earlier sporters. There was/is a back-story for that particular Krag that added to the value.

FredC

Post by FredC »

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... Post615961

This thread is following a different Krag sporter. This one is already sold. Interesting discussion of the stock builder on this one.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It was a rare Krag that got turned into a classic 'sporter' by a highly skilled gunsmith.

I don't recall ever personally handling or seeing a Krag 'hunting' rifle showing such artistry.

It took serious money to hire an exceptional craftsman's time and abilities, with the goal of making a $1.50 surplus Army rifle into a firearm masterpiece.

This kind of explains why classic rifles are rare and 'utility' Krag hunting guns are common, available supply certainly governs value.

attached photos show the rifle on the 'doublegunshop forum' and a different custom Krag with a (Dowagiac, Michigan) Shelhamer stock.
Attachments
pix017105913.jpg
pix017105913.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
pix350483193.jpg
pix350483193.jpg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
H1193-L70206072.jpg
H1193-L70206072.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My last beating of this near dead horse, also known as, "my opinion".

In the pre-COVID past, $300 was a safe 'ball park' figure for an altered Krag, that had utility value and some good salvageable parts.
These were Krags that had been modified largely by home craftsmen (of varying ability).
At the time, the dollar was stable and part prices were relatively stable.
The value of original rifles and carbines, objectively graded by condition, was also relatively stable.
'Altered Krags' had to be priced well below the values put on original/collectible military pieces.

High quality custom guns, with the work done by famous gunsmiths or gun making firms, have always been a niche market.
The values put on such pieces are on a totally different planet and very subjective. Artistry is expensive.

There is custom art, original issue, and amateur alteration.
It is important to know the difference, and also factor in condition and attractiveness, when taking a stab at VALUE.

Top - a $275 to $300 Krag. Bottom - a name your price Krag
Attachments
Krag_Xmas_Dream.jpeg
Krag_Xmas_Dream.jpeg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
krag-adolph_001.jpg
krag-adolph_001.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 1452 times