saddle bar

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
kab37

saddle bar

Post by kab37 »

Hi, just purchased a sporterized krag carbine. Paid too much but getting hide to find. It of course was a '98 rifle. I would kike to add a saddle bar and ring. Could use some advice.

thanks, Kab

Local Boy

Re: saddle bar

Post by Local Boy »

Hi kab37,

Welcome to the KCA!

What kind of advice were you hoping to get??? How to do it or if you should do it?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Another big welcome to the KCA.
A couple other questions to help with advice.
1)Your stock is also a cutdown rifle stock? If it is an actual carbine stock the all the answers will probably be different.
2)Will the saddle ring be used or just for the look?

I have no idea what the saddle rings are going for today. It might be less costly to have one fabricated from a good photo.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'kab37' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

An original Krag carbine sling-bar & ring can be purchased from Grandpa's Gun Parts for $150, (link posted in the KCA classifieds). They also show up on eBay from time to time.

S&S Firearms, Glendale N.Y., offers a reproduction sling-bar and screws. Their catalog is viewable online.

The sling-bar is only correct on original (or reproduction) model 1896 and model 1898 'short' carbine stocks.
It was intended to be used with a cross-belt & roller carbine snap-hook.

This arrangement became obsolete and was discontinued on later Krag carbine stocks.

IMHO - The sling-bar & ring is noisy and inconvenient for Hunting and Shooting. It is an expensive item to add to a stock-type, that never had one.

Attach picture shows arrangement and location:
Attachments
carbine-swivel.jpg
carbine-swivel.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

kab37

Post by kab37 »

Gentlemen, thanks for the welcome. Have been a member since 2016 (admit not very active). "carbine is being shipped as we speak.tImagerying to post pictures, no luck.

I know the negatives, wasthinking of the repo but- do not want to ruin a possible carbine stock. Would love to post pictures to help you to help me. Thanks again, Kab

FredC

Post by FredC »

Since you have posted twice the forum rules are probably alright for you to post photos now. I think the rules are to stop spammers and other bad people.
The most common reason you cannot attach a photo is it is too large. Still the easiest way for me to reduce the size of a photo is cropping first to eliminate unnecessary background. Leave your feet in at least one photo and you can become a member of the feet of the KCA rogue's gallery. :-)
Cropping will only shrink a photo so much, so the next thing I do is open it in paint brush by right clicking on it an choosing from the menu. Once in paint brush "Reduce the size" is near the left of the menu bar. 30 0r 40% usually gets me to a good place. Save as a JPG with an altered name so you do not over right your original. I usually add RS to the name. Check it to see if you have gotten it under the 1 meg limit. If so all is good, if not delete the new copy and try a bigger percentage of reduction on the original.
I use windows computers, if you use a phone or an Apple machine, ask and someone here probably can help you with that.
Last edited by FredC on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kab37

Post by kab37 »

Thanks, FredC - I'll give it a try[*]
Attachments
krag4.jpg
krag4.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
krag3.jpg
krag3.jpg (113.11 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
krag2.jpg
krag2.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
krag2.jpg
krag2.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

kab37

Post by kab37 »

Sorry. one more[
Attachments
krag1.jpg
krag1.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'kab37' - Thanks for posting pictures. You have a real model 1899 carbine stock.

It would be a shame to mess it up with a carbine 'sling-bar', which would be incorrect for that original stock!

kab37

Post by kab37 »

Thanks, Butlers Rangers. I agree completely - no saddle bar !