Sportered, German marked. Any insight to model?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Sportered, German marked. Any insight to model?

Post by butlersrangers »

I should not have shot-off my mouth about long eye-relief scopes.
I recall a few years back there were a lot of inexpensive shotgun scopes in the showcases of area sporting goods stores.
I assumed these scopes were still available and would work in a 'scout application'. Possibly, this may not be the case?

Ultimately, I will have a scout rig on a Krag.
To-date, I just have rather conventional scopes and mounts on a small number of hunting rifles.
I still enjoy shooting mainly with iron sights.

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

If you do happen across one, please let me know. There may well have been more a few years. Availability is terrible in anything nowadays. Prices are up, so what was 200 a few years ago is probably 300 now.

FredC

Post by FredC »

About 20 years ago I bought a pistol scope for my single action Ruger. It had a dove tail mount on the bottom. I machined/filed that off in a couple spots to use traditional 7/8 rings. The scope is a named brand just had an old unsupported anymore mount. Keep your eyes open and visit different gun shops, taking your time might help you find a bargain.
Depending on eyes could you use a red dot? The look is out of place on a Krag but if it fits your end use you may be able to get over the looks thing. viewtopic.php?p=41940#p41940
Some red dots will fit directly on a Weaver base with no adapter or have a thin adapter that helps with the low mounting for good cheek weld. The one in the photo is a Burris Fastfire 3 on a custom mount and protector.

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

Fred, that's a nice housing for that red dot. Looks good!

I like red dots on pistols, but not the role I'm looking for on this though. I've got a 357 mag Henry and AR that are good for game inside 100 yds. I'm looking for something to fill that 100-200 yd range, so I need a little magnification. I'm Appalachian, so you don't really get much longer shots than that. I've pretty much decided I'm going to hit up a good local gunsmith to drill me a picatinny rail to fit the 4 holes that are already in the barrel. Then I'm going to go with the below recessed rings and scope. I was at a shop tonight (to pick up my PSA 5.7 Rock w/ Holosun red dot) that had one, and it is crystal clear with fantastic long relief. Turns out they are $100 below Amazon, and all the other websites I use are out of stock on it. Going to go back tomorrow and pick it up. It may be a few weeks until I get down to the gunsmith to make me a rail (I have a garage woodshop, not a machine shop), but I'll post pics once it's done.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice scope!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I'm talking about US Krags, using the KragHaus mount, I don't think the Norwegian barrels are tapered the same. I found the inexpensive LER scopes on ebay to work better than what one might think, and they've gotten better since the ones I purchased long ago. Eye relief is about right on them, the ocular bell winds up right at the back of the receiver ring. With old Bushnell rings the lower edge of the bell is only about 1/8 above the receiver ring. 2-7 variable and and a 2.75X from NC Star are a couple scopes I've used. In the beginning some of them were junk, but they were cheap enough to be disposable! They've gotten better, as I said. I can't find a set of rings as low as the old Bushnell 1" rings for the 2.75X which has a 30mm tube, so it sits about 1/4" above the ring.

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:34 am Nice scope!
I got it back from the gunsmith. It turned out good. He made a nice weaver rail and cerakoted it. I'm quite happy.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. It is appreciated.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That looks strong, clean and sensible. I expect it will work very well!

I'm looking forward to your Range Report.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Nice work! Should be an excellent hunting rig!!

FredC

Post by FredC »

I was a little worried by the tall mounts in your earlier post. With the low mounts quick sighting should be good, it has to be a lot less fragile with the low mounts and the look is very good. It is completely clear of the ejected cases. You have checked all the "good" boxes with this rig.