kRAG 1896

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Meitten

kRAG 1896

Post by Meitten »

Hello,

I inherited a Springfield model 1896 .30 40 Krag, serial number 50877. I am not sure exactly if that is what I have, as other than the labeling on the barrel, it does not look anything like any of the pictures for a Krag model 1896 that I have seen online. If anyone can provide any insight into if this is a model 1896 or what it is, I would be greatly appreciative. There should be 4 pictures attached, if I did it right.

Thanks.
Attachments
1896 4A.jpg
1896 4A.jpg (954.59 KiB) Viewed 752 times
1896 3A.jpg
1896 3A.jpg (735.05 KiB) Viewed 752 times
1896 2A.jpg
1896 2A.jpg (773.8 KiB) Viewed 752 times
1896 1A.jpg
1896 1A.jpg (683.1 KiB) Viewed 752 times

butlersrangers

Re: kRAG 1896

Post by butlersrangers »

Meitten, welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your confusion is the result of the Krag rifle's original appearance being greatly altered by a previous civilian owner, likely for hunting use.
Your Krag, #50877, was originally assembled, around December 1896, as a U.S. Model 1896 infantry rifle with a 30 inch barrel.

Your rifle has been re-stocked with a commercially made sporting-style of gun stock.

The barrel has been greatly shortened and a commercial 'banded' front-sight was installed. A tapered collar was put on the barrel to give a streamlined transition with the receiver.

The military rear-sight was removed from your Krag and the receiver was drilled and tapped to allow the mounting of a Lyman receiver 'peep' sight.

It also appears that your Krag's bolt-handle has been slightly bent to give a more sporting appearance.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

A Krag sporter is where a lot of us started out, me included. Some of us got more deeply infected with the Krag bug and moved on to full military Krags when a good deal could be found. Some started with a full military version and some stayed with a sporter. Regardless, you have a fine specimen. It appears to have a transition piece between the receiver and the barrel to give it a smoother look, which I have never seen. Also, it looks like the receiver was modified where the bolt rests and has the appearance that a model 1898 would have. The stock looks fine. Perhaps the barrel needs some cleaning up. An inheritance gun? That would make it all the more desirable to the owner. Enjoy it for what it is.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

And the "side box" magazine has been removed

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good eye Ned!
I was so mesmerized by the bolt-handle angle and 'forward spur' on the cheek-piece,
that I missed the hairless woolly-mammoth in the room!

When does a Krag cease to be a Krag and become a '1903 Wanabe'?

I bet the "magazine" now holds 3 cartridges, is powered by an improvised spring & follower,
and is loaded by inserting cartridges 'base-first & rearward' into the feed-slot.

'Meitten', be careful when you separate your Krag's stock from the barreled/action.
(Think - "Jack in the Box").
It is possible that a complicated spring and follower are just 'sandwiched' in place,
when the wood is connected to the metal.