Help identifying a possible sporter/Bannerman

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
rabbler

Help identifying a possible sporter/Bannerman

Post by rabbler »

Hello all, my local shop has a Krag carbine marked as a Philippine Constabulary but appears to have a RIA 1903 Springfield barrel dated 10-18, and from some searching around it looks like probably a Bannerman cut down sporter to me.

But you all are far far more knowledgeable than me about these particular rifles and I'd love some insight before I get in over my head or buy something that's unsafe to shoot.

butlersrangers

Re: Help identifying a possible sporter/Bannerman

Post by butlersrangers »

'rabbler' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

As you have concluded, Krag #192551 is not a PC carbine, nor is it a real Springfield Armory "School Rifle".

It is a civilian alteration of a rifle, that was originally made at Springfield Armory around April 1899.

The stock has been 'cut-down' to school rifle length, by persons unknown.
Surplus gun dealers like Bannerman's, Stokes-Kirk, and Sedgley did sell such rifles as low-cost 'knock-off' school guns.
R.F. Sedgley (Philadelphia) did a lot of the work on parts guns, even including ones sold by Bannerman & Stokes-Kirk.
(Sedgley's trademark was a small "S" in a Circle).

The replacement barrel is indeed an 'altered' 1903 barrel made at Rock Island Arsenal in October 1918.
The front-sight appears to be a 1903A3 sight made during WW2.

It was once a common civilian gun-smithing practice to replace poor condition Krag barrels with surplus 1903 Springfield barrels, cut to 22" length.
The 1903 barrels were shortened at the breech end, re-chambered for .30-40, threaded to fit the Krag action, and notched for the Krag extractor.
If competently done, this is a safe re-barrel.

Your local gun-shop does have a cute looking School Rifle 'wanabe'. Such guns are not correct. They are not very easy to sell, or desired by most collectors.
Such an altered Krag can be a very fun Range Gun/Shooter. It is probably worth $300-350.

This one does have a hidden gem that is totally wrong for the gun!

(The current rear-sight appears to be a complete model 1898 Dickson carbine sight. This carbine sight is relatively rare and worth $200 to $300.
These carbine sights were obsolete by 1900 and were sold off as scrap to surplus dealers).

p.s. You are under no obligation to tell the dealer about the sight, unless you want to.
Attachments
krag ng 1898c (2).jpg
krag ng 1898c (2).jpg (517.7 KiB) Viewed 869 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Br, does the hand guard that goes with that sight have extra value?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The same Krag hand-guard is used with the model 1898 and model 1902 sights. It is a relatively common hand-guard.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

What was the asking price?