Information for sling on sporterized Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
TNrifle

Information for sling on sporterized Krag

Post by TNrifle »

I have an 1898 Krag that was cut down to meet the NRA specifications and never questioned two-piece sling that was on the gun, which matches the 1907 version. After some more looking, I am questioning what I have since it does not appear to be a military issued sling. The sling is the two-piece version with double frogs, but they appear to be nickel-plated brass and are not steel. There are no markings on the sling to indicate military acceptance, and both frogs are stamped "UAP" with a fourth unrecognizable marking, or. the "U" could be a stylized "J" for "JAP x". There is some build-up of verdigris on the brass fixtures suggesting the sling has been on the gun for quite a while. My first guess would be that the sling is an early reproduction, but that really doesn't make sense. Attached are photos of the front and back sides of the frog, which have the same markings.

The gun itself has the correct cartouches along with a rack number painted on the stock, which would mean the gun had originally been issued, and likely at a training facility. It is my understanding that a 1907 sling on a rifle with an 1899 cartouche date is not unusual since the Krags were still in service until WWI, however, I suspect the sling was added in the 1920s when the gun was cut down to its present configuration.

Any thoughts or help with identification would be helpful.
Attachments
Sling1.jpg
Sling1.jpg (666.25 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Sling2.jpg
Sling2.jpg (670.66 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

ebruce

Re: Information for sling on sporterized Krag

Post by ebruce »

All USGI M1907 slings have three rivets. The sling pictured is not USGI. Based on the stamping inside the hook, it is made in Japan sometime after the end of the occupation. Sincerely. bruce.