1895 Winchester Lee destroyed

Other Firearms
Culpeper

1895 Winchester Lee destroyed

Post by Culpeper »

This is what I am talking about when it come to guys stripping guns for profit. I recorded this one on March 29, 2020 and here we are today with the remnants.

LIN SN date type where config Pic location
116 11098 2020 03 29 Civ Web sporter y gunbroker

Ugh
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/940005212
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Re: 1895 Winchester Lee destroyed

Post by butlersrangers »

Well, at least you captured Bubba's thumb-print for posterity!
Attachments
bubbas finger-print.jpg
bubbas finger-print.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

The whole cannibalism of rifles to supply parts for other rifles restorations is truly destruction of history. With this going on with Krags especially it seems like one day the majority of Krags will be reassembled parts guns.
Most of the time people have good intentions and plan to restore a once sporterized or missing parts Krag to return it to a semi historical piece, the trouble is many people don't regard proper model features such as the proper sight, stock, and often attempts to refit a handguard for a different sight. Another much overlooked thing even by some more educated collectors is small changes in parts like the different front bands, slight sight graduation changes, and many other small changes.
Now one thing I wish people would do rather than pay crazy prices for original parts is to just buy reproductions, this would both support the aftermarket so more quality parts will be made, but also drive down the price of original parts hopefully making it less profitable to part out a rifle.
Consider this, how many sporterized 1896 Krag carbines had the rear sight removed and discarded? Now we have way more 1896 carbines in need of a proper rear sight than rear sights available, so now if someone sees a 1896 Carbine with the proper rear sight for sale for say $1500, well then they buy it, sell the sight for $800 or more, sell the stock for $400 or more, sell the barreled action for $200 or more, sell all the small parts for say $100, then sell the handguard for $400 or more, and this is with conservative prices. The original part market is what drives the cannibalism.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

So… if one was to buy this, is there available parts and stock to bring it back?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

P0H0 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:34 am So… if one was to buy this, is there available parts and stock to bring it back?
The answer is no. "Available" may be hit and miss. All of the parts and stock for the referenced rifle were stripped off to sell individually because the price of old rifles, really any old gun, like the Trapdoors Krags, 1903s, 1917s, garands, and so on. Some #$^%#&^$% are money whores, and in a way I can't blame them too much, whose only motivation in life is to make a buck. Can't sell the gun kat a price guys will pay? Sell the parts to the suckers who want to save the old stuff from being parted out.

I will pick on the Springfield Armory. They made guns for the US military. When the government adapted a new model production for the old model stopped and tooling for the next one was built. Like when we went from the Krag in 1903 to the M1903. No new parts ever. So The government sold off all of the old part to places like Bannerman. Over the years those parts were consumed. After that the only place to get parts were to strip existing guns.

You want to make money? Set up a shop and produce new made parts for old rifles. Oh, and you have to turn a profit to put food on the table. Good luck with that. The only exception I can think of are places like LRB Arms and Springfield and a few others in the last twenty years who are or were making semi-auto M14s.

This one is a dead rifle.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio