Chafee Reese - Magazine Rifle Trials

Other Firearms
Rcat7147

Chafee Reese - Magazine Rifle Trials

Post by Rcat7147 »

Hi all,
Mentioned this in another thread and wanted to share some pics.

This rifle, though decently photographed, was criminally under-described by the auction company.

In fact, it was listed as a Russian Berdan rifle ::)
I won't be able to keep it (I have a strict "no rifles more expensive than my Ford Ranger" rule) but it will be an honor to handle it for a while!

I don't have it in hand yet, so here are some pics from the auction.
ImageImageImageImage

Rcat7147

Re: Chafee Reese - Magazine Rifle Trials

Post by Rcat7147 »

And some more:ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Very nice - That's one complicated bolt-action!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I have Dorsett's book "Development of the Krag Jorgensen Rifle for the US Military". He has a short section on this rifle and a few pictures. I see it is tube fed from the butt plate. Interesting specimen you have. (How new is your Ford Ranger?) ;)

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

If anyone is interested, there is a complete chapter, with numerous illustrations, operating cautions, etc. on the Chaffee-Reece ("Reese" , though widely seen, is incorrect) in my "More .45-70s" book.

For example, do NOT put ANYTHING other than full-length .45-70-500 rounds into the magazine! The toothed feed system will - sooner or later - jam with anything else.

That's a pretty damn scarce item. Now that you have it, I'd keep it, and sell something you could be sure of replacing if a $$$$$$ squeeze occurred.

Side note, the bayonet, assuming it fits snugly and properly, might be rarer than the rifle!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The bayonet is not properly attached and locked into place in the auction company photo.

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Thanks for the input, all! This is definitely the rarest Ive found so far. Ive had an M1C Garand and a Winchester Spruce Gun but they made 10 times as much of those. Amazing.

Knute, the Ranger is just a 2004 ;).

Dick, thanks for chiming in. Ill have to pick up a copy of your book. I collect standard issue US arms so this doesnt exactly fit my collection, unfortunately. I buy and sell as a side hustle and this one will make up a few others that I should have sold haha.
I gather the inner diameter of the bayonet is specific to this rifle?

BR, Im excited to get it in my hands! I watched the Forgotten Weapons video on this and he basically said, Yeah, Im not taking this one apart. Pretty complicated indeed!

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

I am an experienced rationalizer. It obviously the time to buy a new Ford Ranger!!

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

I am an experienced rationalizer. It obviously the time to buy a new Ford Ranger!!

Now that does make sense!

Seriously though, I love this little Ranger. Just a 4 cylinder to get me to and from work and anything that goes wrong on it is cheap and easy to repair. I only paid $3,000 for it a couple years ago and it's just trucking right along.

I'll buy another when this one kicks the bucket. Maybe one that only single-digit-old ;D

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Dick, thanks for chiming in. Ill have to pick up a copy of your book. I collect standard issue US arms so this doesnt exactly fit my collection, unfortunately. I buy and sell as a side hustle and this one will make up a few others that I should have sold haha.
I gather the inner diameter of the bayonet is specific to this rifle?

You're very welcome.

You do NOT want to fool with the mag until you understand how it works! Another tip, the bolt must be open before attempting to open the butt trap, but should be closed while operating the cutoff!! It's a goofy system - in fact many specimens have had parts of the mag assembly broken or removed.

Gun looks to be complete, and just in need of a little TLC. The cleaning rod is of special length, and, yes, the bayonet has a slightly larger socket to fit the 28" barrel. The one in the pic is most likely incorrect, but, it's a Benjamin towards keeping the rifle! :D

Book, signed and postpaid, is $25 to POB 1367 Colusa CA 95932. Others welcome, too! :)