Any Birth Year Firearms?

Other Firearms
mavt

Any Birth Year Firearms?

Post by mavt »

Seeking out a firearm "born" the same year as the owner can turn even the most common of models into something a bit more special.

When Winchester ceased production of the Model 1894 in 2006 many of the millions out there suddenly became more collectable and prices skyrocketed even for the junk. As a teen, my first centerfire was a used M94 30-30. Back then I wasn't interested in when it was made but by the overall condition I know it had to have been a pre-64 that now would be worth many times more than I paid for it - had I kept it.

So now that these are no longer being made I too wanted to obtain a clean pre-64. But I wasn't in a hurry and while waiting for the initial demand to abate I casually began looking for an affordable one and decided to make the search more interesting by targeting one from my birth year.

In 2009 I saw one in a NH gun shop that met my condition and price criteria and happened to be at the middle of my birth year serial# range, likely test fired close to the time I took my first breath. It had normal usage wear to the bluing with a few areas that looked like blood may have removed some bluing. The stock was in original condition except for a couple barely visible notches on the buttstock bottom. The chambering was 32 Win Special which made it more interesting than the mundane 30-30. My search was over.

Anyone have a birth year firearm story or pictures to post? ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Any Birth Year Firearms?

Post by butlersrangers »

'mavt' - Nice Winchester!

I was about to give up. I have a British 'Jungle Carbine' and an Ithaca mod.37, that bracket my Birth Year, but, not the same.

Then, I checked my Remington model 513 "Matchmaster" and looked-up its barrel code. It appears it was made the month after I was born.

I've always had a soft spot for the "513" because it was what we learned on, as "N.R.A. Marksmanship Program - Juniors", while in the Boy Scouts. The 'Parkerized War Babies', (we had on loan from the DCM), were capable of 'Possibles' with standard .22 ammo, in the early 1960's.

I picked this 'blued' one up about 15 years ago.ImageImageImage

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

I purchased one of those two months ago, great shooting rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Capt. Frank' - Can it compete with your Winchester model 52?

I plan on taking the '513' to the Range, for a 100 yard 'workout', the next nice shooting day.

BTW - 'mavt' has the germ of a good idea.

Needs to be taken further .... "A Gun for Each Birthday" !!!

Whig

Post by Whig »

White shoes this time?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Saddle Shoes" - I do have "Standards", even though the Quarantine would allow me to stay in pajamas. ;)

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Never considered a "birth year" firearm, add a new "reason" to the list...."but honey it was made the same year as me"!!! ;D

FredC

Post by FredC »

Just be careful about revealing too much. I got a call from SSA that someone made 2 runs on my retirement. The imposter knew more of the identity questions than I did!

I went ahead and signed up earlier than I planned just to keep someone else from getting it.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

I have a Colt 2nd series 4.5 inch Match Target Woodsman that was born in 1952, same year as my wife. Dont have any 1951 guns. Shot it so much the sear broke on it and it languished in pieces in a cigar box for years before I found parts on fleabay. But I got it fixed and running again. Found a minty 4.5 inch MT safe queen but the ugly one was my first MT. I used to be able to shoot the hell out of it but my eyes dont work as good as they used to. I do a little better with a rifle. Old Colts Woodsmans are the best. Image

S99VG

Post by S99VG »

I've been working on a pre-war Garand project that the receiver is my birth month, but 18-years before my birth year. The August 1941 receiver was the impetus of the build.