1905 Springfield bayonet

Other Firearms
Whig

Re: 1905 Springfield bayonet

Post by Whig »

Thanks. I have used Sno-Seal for years for all of my leather reconditioning. has beeswax in it along with other good stuff. I carefully rub it in with excess on the leather and let it sit over night and buff it off. Really soaks in and reconditions well.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I have used sno-seal for years on my boots. It certainly waterproofs as advertised. I have some pecards conditioner for antique leather. I will start with that. I believe it also contains bees wax.
Thanks again, kc

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

What is the dark strip of wood behind the band? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Normally there is just a plug (sometimes so tight and well-fitted and varnished over as to be nearly invisible) in the lightening channel, with the stock itself running full to the band.

Does yours have a plug as well, or is there a whole new end to the stock?

Whig

Post by Whig »

Dick, this is the PC that you've seen before. That dark strip is my obvious repair to the stock that had been badly damaged underneath and behind with the poor fit of an incorrect front band as found when I first acquired this rifle.

Remember the "Parquet" patterned front where I fabricated the walnut stock with a plug?

That's what you're seeing.

Before and after repair pictures:
ImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sorry, guess I'm starting to lose track - so many Krags, so little time! Thanks for the clarification. :D :D :D

Whig

Post by Whig »

You have a mind overwhelmed with information and a long history of wisdom and experience with these firearms, I'd love to know all you've forgotten!

Thanks for all your help with learning about Krags, Dick.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You're very welcome - it's been fun!!

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

My school gun/PC likes either Krag or 1905, both fit just fine.ImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, they both DO "fit", as will the bayo made for the M1 Garand, but the little bevel definitely aids in operating the 1905 catch, which is why you should aways look for it as a little point of added authenticity (often overlooked by "assemblers") when vetting a prospective school gun purchase.

Of course, for anyone feverishly whipping out their files, the bevel must show proper wear and patina. :D :D