Jungle Carbine Bayonet

Other Firearms
Whig

Jungle Carbine Bayonet

Post by Whig »

As requested, I have snapped a few pictures of my dad's Jungle carbine's bayonet. I will take pictures of the carbine when I get a chance.

To repeat, my dad died two years ago and left me some nice hand guns and a couple rifles. The Jungle carbine was one he bought at a hardware store when I was a kid in the early 70s and he paid $17.50 for it. The rifle came with a case, a sling, a bayonet and scabbard (frog?), two mags and some ammo. I have shot it a few times. Kicks a ton.

This is the bayonet that it came with. I know nothing about these but this has been with the carbine since he bought it. I don't know why the date after the Poole "P" marking only shows a strong "194" and possibly a very worn off "7" if that is possible. It has green paint on it. I haven't figured out what the letters on the back of the scabbard are yet. I'll have to look when I get a chance. The bayonet is in good shape and there are more markings under the green paint in a couple areas.

Here are the pictures. I hope you experts can help me. I guess these original bayonets for this Enfield are sort of scarce these days. Lots of repros.

Thanks for the help. I'll work on the carbine pictures soon.

I took these quickly and didn't correct for bad exposure.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Whig

Re: Jungle Carbine Bayonet

Post by Whig »

More bayo pics:
ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Whig' - Well, you have a real British No. 5 Bayonet. It certainly appears to have seen use and the one (lighter colored) grip panel was replaced.

The canvas hanger is British, but, the metal scabbard is improvised from a scabbard for some other country's bayonet and not correct.

After the Jungle Carbine and Bayonet were discontinued, the scabbards were still useful and recycled for later model bayonets.

Whig

Post by Whig »

The scabbard didn't look like others I've seen. The lighter grip panel shows a bunch of grime buildup. It must have been changed out a long time ago.

I imagine that the green paint is authentic for some reason?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am sure the green paint is legitimate and the lighter colored grip was probably put on at an ordnance depot.

I imagine a veteran bayonet like yours is worth a couple of hundred bucks. (Reproductions sell for $80).

Attached: Some literature on the 'Jungle Carbine' No.5- bayonetImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Back in 1972, I spent a couple of months traveling around England and Scotland.

I had written in advance and was given permission and an appointment to visit the Pattern Room at Enfield Arsenal.

I was guided around the Pattern Room by Mr. Herbert Woodend, who was a very genial and knowledgeable Superintendent at Enfield Lock.

Mr. Woodend, was from Northern Ireland and very helpful to North American Arms Students and authors from the U.S. and Canada.

I was enthusiastic during my hours in the Pattern Room, asked intelligent questions, and provided some assistance in reassembling an Enfield made copy of the 'Dryse Needle-gun'.

At the end of my visit, Mr. Woodend asked if there was anything he could help me with for my collection?

I said, in jest: "A Jungle Carbine Bayonet"!

He opened a bench drawer full of them and gave me one with scabbard.
He instructed: "Better hide it in your pants. The guards get excited about this sort of thing"!
(Good thing I was lean with a flat stomach, back then)!

Pictures of my prize bayonet attached: ImageImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thanks, Butlers, for the info. Nice to piece together some history on this piece my dad has had for most of my life. Certainly a family treasure I'll be passing down to one of my kids.

The carbine looks unused. Bore is absolutely mirror without any evidence of use. Were any of these No 5's unissued?

I'll try to take pictures and post tomorrow.

Fascinating story of how you got your bayonet. Should have asked for two!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Two! That was the first time I saw or handled ONE.

(He also gave me a correct scabbard for my 'three rivet' Pattern 1888 Lee-Metford bayonet. Good thing I was thin and wiry!
The late Mr. H. Woodend was a very intelligent and interesting man. He had a passionate interest in early metallic cartridges, including American ones. I got to meet him again at the Pattern Room, with a group of Canadian Gun Collectors, in 1977. We were able to take him and his lovely wife out to Dinner, in London, a couple of nights later).

BTW - The Enfield Pattern Room is no more. Part of the collection is now in The Museum at Leeds.

Regarding unissued "Jungle Carbines":

When I was about 15 years old (1963), I saw a tableful of 'mint' British Jungle Carbines at Berry's Army Surplus in Detroit. The price was $35, each.

At Michigan Antique Arms Gun-Shows, the 'Jungle Carbine' was a common item in the late 1960's and early 1970's. They often appeared unissued and sold for $35.00.

My first Jungle Carbine was an early one, that had been used and poorly re-finished. Around 1969, I sold it for $35 and bought an 'unissued' one for $35.

Gun prices use to remain unchanged for years. Your Dad got quite the bargain for $17.50. You want to double his money?!!!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Evidently, from your history of the price at that time, my dad must have lucked into a hardware store that was having a "1/2 off" sale.

I wouldn't take less than $45 for it!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ok ... You drive a hard bargain! $47.50, final offer. :D