Jungle Carbine Bayonet

Other Firearms
Littlejohn

Re: Jungle Carbine Bayonet

Post by Littlejohn »

That is a really nice No.5. Looks correct. Not a put-together made from No.4 parts. It's about 6 months older than mine (5/46). Made at the same Royal Ordnance Factory, Fazakerley. ROF (F). Not sure on the SN. Maybe someone forgot to add the leading zero. They would make 9999 rifles with a letter prefix starting at A then start numbering them from 1 with the next letter. The SN of my rifle is prefixed with a V.

The sling is not correct for a British rifle, but if that's what your dad put on it, I can see why you'd want to leave it that way.

The ENGLAND stamp was a pre '68 U.S. import requirement to show country of origin.
Your rifle was possibly imported by Interarmco.

The BNP stamp is Birmingham Nitro Proof. .303 is the caliber. 2.222 is the case length. 18.5 tons is the pressure of the proof round.

The proof was required for rifles sold into the civilian market by the British government.

Very nice rifle.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thanks Littlejohn. I didn't know that the England stamp was considered an import mark. The sling was on it when he purchased it, from what I remember him telling me. I'm not even sure he even ever fired this nice carbine. If he did, he probably would have used the old corrosive ammo he bought with it and not cleaned the bore. It is so clean, that didn't happen.

Great to have some family treasures. I've got some from my oldest brother who died years ago and used to shoot in old Secret Service matches with his 1956 6 inch Colt Python. That's a nice treasure, also!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice early Jungle Carbine! That probably explains the 3 digit number. (It might even be a 'Trial #').

Mine was built by Fazakerly in 1947, so, it has the later metal forearm 'cap' and a four digit serial number.

The British did not issue extra magazines with Lee-Enfield rifles. They reloaded with 5-round 'Chargers' carried in cloth bandoliers.

My magazine has a matching serial number on the bottom of the magazine.
I don't think the war time No. 5 rifles had the magazines serial numbered.

I believe your canvass gear is all U.S. items. The sling is like the one the CMP sent with my M1 Garand.

Like 'Littlejohn' said, the "England" was to comply with U.S. Customs law. The "BNP Proofs" were to comply with British law for civilian sales.

p.s. The pressure test is 18.5 "Long Tons" per square inch.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Swell looking 'Jungle Carbine' Whig!!!

Your father's $17.50 investment will bring you many happy returns.

Interesting, first time I've seen a three digit number.

My Fazakerley is serial number O5327 dated 7/45.

Like Littlejohn had mentioned...the numbering system for Fazakerley made no5s began with A1 to A9999, B1 to B9999 and so forth. Letters omitted were I and J.

One of my references does mention a B.S.A. (M47C) .22 trials rifle that had a T1 prefix (Only 100 were made).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Local Boy' - Does your carbine have a metal cap on the forearm tip or is it plain, like Whig's?

FWIW - My first Jungle Carbine had plain wood and no metal cap.

Whig

Post by Whig »

The extra mag I have is not serialized.

That's interesting they had a .22 variety made.

Thanks for the info. I have never studied up on these more than just some basic info when I first got it. Now I know a bunch more! Nice part of any mil-surp collection to have an authentic Enfield No. 5.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Whig, that is an excellent No 5!
My Aussie friend said he carried a Jungle carbine during the Malaysian Conflict until they were issued L1A1s. Interestingly enough, he said one day they were carrying the No 5 and the next the L1A1, without any training.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Chuck...the Fazakerley has a plain wooden forearm tip like Whig's

BTW: Whig I believe your extra magazine is for an SMLE no1 mark III. You can tell by the groves which extend down to the base of the mag. No4/5 mags have groves that stop just before the base...their also interchangeable with one another.

FWIW: I've read that the magazines were not marked with the serial number until around mid-1946. They will often have the number engraved or stamped.

Whig

Post by Whig »

If this extra is not correct for the carbine, I may have just pulled the wrong one from my storage. I'll have to check on that! Boy, they sure look the same. Thanks for the heads up!

I've got too much stuff packed away and don't have enough room to organize it all the right way.

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

Whig, Check the mag that's lying on the rifle cover in a previous photo.