CMP 1911A1

Other Firearms
psteinmayer

CMP 1911A1

Post by psteinmayer »

I received my CMP 1911A1 today. I selected a Service Grade, and expected one that was in good condition... but after disassembling and inspecting it... I think it's unissued! There isn't so much as a wear mark on the entire pistol. The Parkerizing looks brand new!!! The barrel has the sharpest rifling I've ever seen.

It was also bone dry, so I oiled it.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I upload them

Whig

Re: CMP 1911A1

Post by Whig »

Sounds great! I doubt many will be able to claim the same prize.

Congrats. Can't wait to see pictures.

I'm real partial to the 1911 having shot many for years next to Ken Hackathorn, one of the biggest advocates of 1911s. Fantastic history they have.

(Pictures from Ken's 100 year anniversary of the introduction of the 1911 to the world.)ImageImage

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Congratulations Paul!

You sure did get a good one. I hope you are not leaving the Krag rifle matches and going over to the dark side, CMP service pistol matches?

CAT Man

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I hate when this happens! Now you have a "Safe Queen" and won't want to play with it. :'( :-/ :'(

Maybe your Dad will get a 'Beater' and you can trade with him! ;D

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Congratulations Paul!

You sure did get a good one. I hope you are not leaving the Krag rifle matches and going over to the dark side, CMP service pistol matches?

CAT Man

Not to worry... I ain't goin' no where!

Hey... BTW Jeff, are you coming to Perry this year? I know you missed last year!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I hate when this happens! Now you have a "Safe Queen" and won't want to play with it. :'( :-/ :'(

Maybe your Dad will get a 'Beater' and you can trade with him! ;D

Nope! No "Safe Queens" for me!

LOL I told dad I'd bring it by when I got it and we'd go shooting. I also told him with his back issues (being hunched over), he'd only be able to hit the floor... LOL

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, let's try adding a few pictures:ImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Paul that sure looks nice. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Parkerized finish quite the same. Looks a little on the light side. I see Colt is on the slide but I don't remember a serial number on the slide like that. Do the internals look all good too? What make barrel does it have? I don't usually see all of the parts Parkerized along with the frame.

What a nice firearm you got thanks to Uncle Sam and your savings! I'll bet it will shoot nice. It does look like it needs lots of oil and breaking in. Is the slide tight on the frame? How tight is the bushing up front?

Congratulations.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

All good questions... and since this is my first 1911 (shot 'em many times, but never owned one), I wasn't sure of what to look for beyond the fact that it was bone dry. I think the bushing was quite tight. The bushing, frame, slide, barrel, etc. all had the same parkerizing which is why I think it's unissued. It may have been re-parked... but normally, the CMP doesn't do that to Service Grade sales. And again, I see very little indications of wear. I'll have to disassemble it again, and check everything out very closely, but in initial inspection, it all looks amazing.

Back when I was on the carrier and part of the ship's security force, you could shake our 1911's and hear 'em rattle, LOL!

Whig

Post by Whig »

I'm not an expert on Parkerized service firearms but Parkerization is generally reserved for the frame, not the internals. The barrels have never been Parkerized, as far as I know. No need to do that to internals or the barrel. adding the additional layer of finish actually makes for tight fitment which can pose some problems.

I wish someone who knows a lot more than I do about that finish could chime in. Something is a little unusual with the finish that needs some 'splainin!

But, it should be tight and probably shoots well. Remove the extractor and firing pin and make sure those channels are clean and oiled well. Gunk gets stuck in those areas that can alter functioning.

But, take her out and put some 45s through her for a good testing.