CMP 1911A1

Other Firearms
Zgun

Re: CMP 1911A1

Post by Zgun »

Paul,

If the serial number is 933079 it was manufactured by Colt in 1943 (http://www.cruffler.com/ProductionDataPages/ColtAutoPistols/Model-1911A1.html) and I expect was surely issued during WW2. I believe the FJA stamp on the left side indicates it was refurbished by Springfield Arsenal. It is also very likely it was refurbed at a later date possibly at Anniston given the "Fresh looking" park job. Very nice 1911A you got in the lottery.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

From what I'm reading the FJA inspector mark was Frank J. Atwood. Found on Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1s (entire production).

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/Frame%20and%20Slide%20Markings.htm

So it appears the frame maybe Remington Rand or Ithica made?

Typical military mix master.

Allow me to take that abomination out of your hands! ;)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Parts Gun", send it back!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Back when these soldiers were using these pistols regularly, they would all gather around a table and strip their guns and put the parts in hot water bins on the table. Then, they'd reach in and grab a part and put their pistols back together after cleaning the barrel well. So, the pistols rarely match if they have seen any action.

I think you have one of these kinds of mixmasters. (I'm only 56- I don't speak from direct experience!)

But, it's great and should shoot real well. Blast away!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I was imagining 'Paul's Prize' was taken apart, parts inspected and refurbished, and parts randomly assembled, as a 'serviceable arm'.

"IRAN" - IMHO

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Uh Oh. The parkerizing is damaged on the trigger. Don't shoot it or anything else. Send it to me for proper disposal.

I can't believe you were sent such a dangerous gun. Good thing I am here for you and don't want you to come to any harm.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Uh Oh. The parkerizing is damaged on the trigger. Don't shoot it or anything else. Send it to me for proper disposal.

I can't believe you were sent such a dangerous gun. Good thing I am here for you and don't want you to come to any harm.

LOL Yeah Right... In you (wet) dreams Culp!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Paul,

If the serial number is 933079 it was manufactured by Colt in 1943 (http://www.cruffler.com/ProductionDataPages/ColtAutoPistols/Model-1911A1.html) and I expect was surely issued during WW2. I believe the FJA stamp on the left side indicates it was refurbished by Springfield Arsenal. It is also very likely it was refurbed at a later date possibly at Anniston given the "Fresh looking" park job. Very nice 1911A you got in the lottery.

938079 actually. Remington Rand frame and Colt slide. I agree that it was probably re-parked when it was arsenal rebuilt. I do however thing it was never reissued, as the finish shows absolutely no wear! Serial puts in 1943 manufacture.

Playapat

Post by Playapat »

Great Pistol, Paul. Congrats. It seems like a lot of the CMP 1911s were in pretty good condition, but this one looks especially, remark or not.

Im with you on the no safe queens rule. We need photos of the targets as soon as you take it out.