Show Us Your Big Guns

Other Firearms
psteinmayer

Re: Show Us Your Big Guns

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok... it's official - now I want to be HeyJoe's heir!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you want to talk REALLY big guns, then nothing compares to these! (Although our battlegroup in 1987 included the USS Missouri BB-63, I do regret never having served aboard one while they were still active!)Image

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

Was driving an Ammunition Ship during that time. One day we rearmed USS Iowa. They steamed alongside at 100' and we sent ammo over aft; they were firing the forward guns. Ship's store sold out of film that day.

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

Was driving an Ammunition Ship during that time. One day we rearmed USS Iowa. They steamed alongside at 100' and we sent ammo over aft; they were firing the forward guns. Ship's store sold out of film that day.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I'm going to have to research this one a little more but, come on- the Nazi's built this during WWII? (Biggest gun ever made!)

Talk about great balls of fire!

I'd like to see the progressive loading press for these bad boy rounds!!Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

HeyJoe gets the Biggest Bang award!!!

Say Culp does that 11-87 come with Sound Suppressor???

Not yet! The one in the picture is too small for my needs. :o
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Its not a rifle, but it is big. 1841 six pounder, 3 1/2" bore

Please tell me that is a full scale gun. Ooooooooooooo. And you use it for deer hunting.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

Its full scale. 1/2 lb of cannon powder and a Progresso soup can of concrete will punch through a dumpster. Good fun at a shoot at the range with appliances and a car. A liter soda bottle with marbles would work on deer. Have a neighborhood watch sign on the back of the trailer.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Awesome cannon HeyJoe.

Neighborhood watch sign on the back of your trailer...LOL!

I bet under the right conditions/settings your marble grape shot could eliminate a number of deer at onetime!

Love those big navel guns and the stories you guys tell about actually being there when they were fired.

Here's some historic photos showing artillery being used when the government was experimenting with the idea of shooting someone to the moon...actually NASA originally stood for National Artillery Space Administration.
ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Do you have a limber for that beast? I can find load of cannon videos but only one that shows a cannon under horse power being unlimbered. What would be cool to watch is and entire battery being pulled forward, unlimbered and put through the firing order.

Being a civil war student since reading a 1965 national geographic about Five Forks I tried to envision CW artillery being shot while under fire like at the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg. Had to be hell.