non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's

Post by butlersrangers »

If your heart is not set on owning an original model 1911, (that was used by the U.S. Military or made by Colt, a U. S. Armory, or a Government contractor), it is a wonderful time, IMHO, to buy a "KNOCK-OFF 1911".

They come in all sizes and flavors. My LGS has taken some 'trade-ins' that were virtually new, good quality, and priced very attractive.

I have amassed a battery of three for less money than the cost of a single nice Krag.

1911's are a hoot to shoot (and re-load for)!

Pictured: Springfield Armory "WW2" repro (Genesco, Ill.), Remington (Commander size), and Rock Island - "Officer" - (Philippines).

psteinmayer

Re: non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's

Post by psteinmayer »

Very nice! Of course, I'm waiting for the call from the CMP for my 1911A1. I applied, and my RGN is within the initial 8000. For a while though, I considered buying one of the knock-offs. I agree that the 1911 is one fun gun to shoot. I qualified and medaled with one when I was in the Navy. I also shot a lot of rounds while on the ship's security forces on the USS Ranger! I do reload .45 ACP because my carry weapon is a Taurus PT-145 in .45 ACP.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks Paul:
I especially like the Philippine made (Rock Island) "Officer". It is quite accurate and has a wonderful trigger.

The pistol was amazingly inexpensive with some ugly smooth blonde stocks. I invested $11 in rubber checkered ones, which totally changed the 'look'.

If I get a CCW permit, it would make a fine 'carry' gun.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I love shooting the 1911! I had my dad's army pistol, an old Remington Rand, completely redone by Wayne Novak years ago and shot that for years in local training drills with Ken Hackathorn. I got a neat Wilson Combat CQB Elite 1911 in 9mm during the Obama years when .45 ammo was hard to get and I reloaded around 10,000 rounds that I shot with Hackathorn. My muscle memory is definitely set for the 1911 more than any other handgun.

So, I'll never tire of these old slab sides. I have never owned (and probably never will) any Glock. They just feel so weird with the trigger and grips. But, the 1911 doesn't need replaced for me. They are larger and heavier but make great side arms for carry.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I DO like my Taurus... but nothing beats the feel of a 1911! Like you Whig, I started loading .45 ACP because of the availability and price of ammo about 5 years ago! I loaded the Berry's "Plated" 185 gr bullets. The price is great and they work well for practice and plinking!

Oh... and I'll NEVER own a Glock. I hate em!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yes sir. There in nothing that says BOOM! than a 1911. I enjoy shooting my Ithaca when I am not in Africa setting bait traps for sub-saharan albino polar bears.

(Of course that 1917 I use to guard the likkor shelf is a good second.)
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

Paul I use tons of the Berry's plated bullets also. They are great and always a nice price. Can't beat that!

I've picked up tens of thousands of pieces of .45 brass over the years. I can spot a .45 shell from yards away. Won't touch .40 caliber brass- never have and never will fool with those. Always been a .45 and 9mm person with my 1911 pistols.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I briefly owned a nice, used (like new), Glock, in .40 S&W caliber. It was a fine pistol, inexpensive, very accurate, and had 'night-sights'.

BUT .... I have that muscle memory for the 1911 (and Browning HP), that 'Whig' wrote about.

The Glock felt awkward and 'high in the hand'. I had to 'overthink' everything, when shooting and field-stripping it.

I thought: "I will exploit the piles of .40 S&W brass that is lying on the ground at every Range".

Then I read .... The "Warnings":
high pressure cartridge, unwise to reload, no cast bullets in a Glock .40 ....

Oh Bother! I traded it off. It's good to keep life simple.

P.S. - I have to try some of Berry's Bullets. Anyone using one of their .30 caliber projectiles in a Krag?

Whig

Post by Whig »

Never used Berry's .308 bullets. I think they are 150 grain if I remember. Sounds like it would be worth a try, though. I've never had any problems or issues with the company or their products. I order dozens of their ammo boxes for my reloading. Great prices.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Berry's has both 230 gr and 185 gr bullets with the same nose dimensions. The 185 gr has a cavity in the back which is how they reduced the weight while keeping the shape the same. They're great for practice, and very inexpensive when compared with other brands of 230 gr FMJ bullets. For the 185 gr bullets, I use 8.6 grains of HS-6 and Winchester Large Pistol primers.

I've also not used the Berry's rifle bullets, but if I thought they could provide accuracy similar to what I achieve with the Hornady and Nosler bullets for my match shooting, I'd give 'em a whirl!