My gaudy Garand

Other Firearms
madsenshooter

My gaudy Garand

Post by madsenshooter »

Here's a few pics of a project I been working on, scoping my Garand. I plan to shoot it in the unlimited class at Camp Perry this year. I can barely hold it up, and not for long! Scope is a 4X Tasco Pro-Class pistol scope, made in Japan. Fine tapered crosshair with dot reticle, 1/4 minute target adjustments. It is very heavily built. Can't wait to give it a try, supposed to be warmer later in the week, I'll get my annual range permit from ODNR today. The scope just barely works for me and one set of glasses I got from the VA. I've another set of rings coming that will get the scope about 1/8-3/16" further forward that'll help get the eye relief right for me. Cheap 3-7 variables with less eye relief work better, but the limit on a variable is 4.5x! I found a gas lock nut on ebay that allows one to use AR15 30 caliber muzzle devices and I happened to have one to try. Looks a bit tidier than my repro pronged flash hider.ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerz

Re: My gaudy Garand

Post by Kerz »

Damn excellent!!
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

madsenshooter, how does the rail attach to the rifle ? Do you have to modify the rifle in any way ?

Zgun

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Schuster MFG 1508 W Laskey Toledo, Ohio, phone no. 419-476-5800, makes an adjustable M-1 Garand gas system. I have one my match grade M-1, which allows you to tune the gun to the ammunition you are using, it works well.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

[noparse][/noparse]
madsenshooter, how does the rail attach to the rifle ? Do you have to modify the rifle in any way ?

Zgun

No mods needed. 10 screws hold a steel saddle clamp on the barrel underside, forward of the chamber area. The clamp must be tapered because the screwholes are drilled in such a way it will only line up if put in a certain way. There are 4 allen head set screws on top of the mount that push on a little bar of softer aluminum that is inlet into the handguard above the barrel. That bears against the barrel, above where the steel clamp is. The handguard bears against the stock ferrule, which of course is pinned. One could make a solid pin, but I don't think the mount likely to go anywhere, as is. The handguard, once tensioned, also bears on a couple flats above the chamber area on a standard Garand barrel. Several companies make similar mounts. I've had this one for years. Rule changes make this the first year scopes will be allowed in CMP Unlimited Garand. I got a lot of Xs out of this rifle & load when I could still see irons. It should be interesting and fun!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Capt Frank, that's a McCann gasplug I have on it. It has 5 jets you can change. The middle jet will just run the Garand with a caseful of RL19 behind a 150gr bullet. I can't recall how many grains that was! I mostly use the smallest jet and try to keep powders more in line with those normally used in the Garand. Oh, you made me remember, I have some cast loads I want to try! Some 193gr bullets, NOE copy of the Eagan MX2-30-H.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

That's a 56" Turner sling, just the front piece. I use the same sling on each rifle at Camp Perry, dispensing with the rear portion, which I still have should I need to rig to carry. Glad the Roosevelt match was on the shorter range last year, cause I had to jog back to my car to get it! Nothing like getting your heart going early in the morning!

I no longer see the mount being sold by CMP, I'm pretty sure this was the maker, there's some pics of the mounting too! http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/m1garand.php

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

madsenshooter, thank you for the details on the mounting of the rail. That is a nice rig you have put together. Good luck shooting!

Zgun

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Madsenshooter, the Shuster device has no presets, it is fully adjustable. You remove the locking Allen screw, turn the adjusting Allen screw fully closed, and open it until the gun fully functions. Then fine tune for the best group for the ammo you are using, then replace the locking screw. My M-1's best group at 100 yards, with Federal Gold Metal Match 168 grain bullets, was 5/8"x1/2", after adjusting the Schuster. It consistently shoots 3/4" or better.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Interesting that playing with the pressure before bullet release effects accuracy. I noticed my Krags seem to group better with loads using faster powders that give less pressure at bullet exit. I have no idea about this thing I put on the end of my Garand, haven't shot it yet. It grouped good with the repro pronged flash hider, but I never got down to comparing it vs shooting with the stock muzzle other than to say I thought it shot better. I like having something out there, when I get tired in prone I can rest the barrel on the ground without damaging the crown or getting dirt in the barrel! The way the butt comes up with the weight of the scope and mount out there, it just might bounce off the ground a few times! Scope and mount total 1lb 7oz, without rings. 10.7oz of that the mount. The laminated handguard 1.75oz.