Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser

Other Firearms
reincarnated

Re: Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser

Post by reincarnated »

Stay far away from Chilean military ammo dated from the 1970s. The powder has started to decompose. Cases look shiny & all to external spec, but I had a case head separation in my 1895 Chilean. Gas & brass in my cheeks.

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

Stay far away from Chilean military ammo dated from the 1970s. The powder has started to decompose. Cases look shiny & all to external spec, but I had a case head separation in my 1895 Chilean. Gas & brass in my cheeks.

Thank you so much for the heads up on that! I feel a lot better about passing on a lot of that exact stuff about a year ago. A friend of mine owns a pawn/antique shop and he had offered it to me when I bought two sealed cases of some M72 match ammo from him.

Im glad you're ok after your Chilean experience! Those are never fun! I had a case separate on me in a Noreen BN36 in 30-06 that blew a huge chunk of the bolt off and completely obliterated the magazine. It happened on my birthday after owning the rifle for less than 24 hours! This rifle platform had issues early on in the run and I was assured by their company this was outside of the recall serial number range before I purchased it. They were wrong lol. Thank god there was one round left in the magazine otherwise I probably would have had that section of bolt in my hand or forearm. Though they were great about the whole thing and made it right by me.ImageImageImage

portugeejn

Post by portugeejn »

Jeremy, FWIW I had one of those once with some "generous" headspace and formed my brass to fit the chamber using 30-06 brass, trimming then annealing the necks. Kind of an interesting fun project if you enjoy that kind of thing. Nice rifle.