Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser

Other Firearms
Jeremy T Garner

Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

I've always wanted A Rolling Block and couldn't pass up the opportunity on this one. From my understanding and research this is a 1902 variant. It shares the same sight as the 1897 variant but has the rotary extractor like the 1910 variation. Now all I need to do is find a bayonet. :)ImageImageImage

Culpeper

Re: Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser

Post by Culpeper »

Is this one?

http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/Home.aspx/Catdet/JJK777?nm=new-york-state-remington-rolling-block-socket-bayonet&category=Search&bread_last=%2FHome.aspx%2FCatpage%2FSearch%3FSearchList%3DKeyWord%26txtSearch%3Dremington%26psize%3D100%26sortseq%3DName&category_desc=Search%20for%20...%20remington
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Jeremy T Garner

Is this one?

http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/Home.aspx/Catdet/JJK777?nm=new-york-state-remington-rolling-block-socket-bayonet&category=Search&bread_last=%2FHome.aspx%2FCatpage%2FSearch%3FSearchList%3DKeyWord%26txtSearch%3Dremington%26psize%3D100%26sortseq%3DName&category_desc=Search%20for%20...%20remington

It definitely is a rolling block bayonet but that is a socket bayonet for the 1871 Remington Rolling Block in 50/70. I believe this variation of Rolling Block shares the same style bayonet as the 1899 Remington Lee rifle. I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your #5 Remington Rolling-Block and the Model 1899 Remington-Lee use the same short knife-bayonet.

Most of these style bayonets probably went to South-American countries and Mexico. The State of Michigan used them on the Remington-Lee. (The 1914 French Rolling-blocks used a long saber-version).

IIRC - Some use a leather frog or hanger. Others have a 'krag-like' metal hanger.

ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

That's a pretty sweet looking rifle there Jeremy!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

And one of the better loads.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Remington R-B is one of my favorite single-shot actions. I regret not more vigorously collecting them when they were plentiful and more affordable.

I regret selling off several that I once owned: 1914 model in 8mm Lebel with bayonet, model 1867 U.S.N. carbine in .50 Carbine, and Springfield made model 1871 in .50-70.

I hesitated on some specimens I should have bought!

IMHO - Rolling-Blocks were a 'Sleeper' in the collecting field for a long time. They were plentiful, undervalued, and under researched.

Too late smart! - I never heeded my own advice "to collect them".

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I do enjoy shooting my 7mm #5 Rolling-Block. It was made around 1908-1910 and has a simpler rear-sight, than Jeremy's.

I use 'starting' loads with 139 grain projectiles to get the cartridge cases nicely formed to my rifle's chamber. Thereafter, I neck-size only.

The early Mauser and Remington R-B rifles in 7X57mm have different chamber dimensions than what was later utilized by U.S. manufacturers.

I keep meaning to buy and install a lighter trigger-return spring. My trigger-pull is quite heavy, but, the lighter reproduction spring should be an easy 'fix'.

Jeremy T Garner

That's a pretty sweet looking rifle there Jeremy!

Thanks Paul!! I've had my eye on it for awhile now and for $450 I couldn't complain too much based on the condition its in. Only down side is somewhere along its travels someone removed and filled the rear sling swivel. Bore is surprisingly good though.

I hear ya Butlers I always liked them but never really sought them out until recently. I would love to have an 1871 in 50/70 and a 1914 in 8mm Lebel. I have a line on some vintage Remington ammo for the rolling block in 7mm and I may purchase that to inspect next to my modern commercial PPU and S&B that I use for my Venezuelan contract FN49. My understanding was that the older cartridge was slightly longer than modern SAAMI spec 7mm Mauser?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Jeremy: I believe you are basically correct.

IIRC - the SAAMI dimensions moved the 7X57mm case shoulder back slightly, which created a potential excessive head-space situation in Mausers and Rolling-Blocks with the original dimensioned chambers.

If new Brass is fitted to the early chamber, by 'Fire-Forming' or using lower pressure 'starting' loads, and the cases are neck-sized only, when reloading, Life should be Good!

(p.s. Try chambering cartridge cases fired in your FN-49 to see if they will fit in your R-B chamber. If they do, it is worth neck-sizing them for use in your Remington R-B. Just back off your F.L. Resizing Die a turn. Chances are, the case shoulder moved forward a bit when fired in the FN-49).