U.S. Rifle 7.62mm M14

Other Firearms
Culpeper

Re: U.S. Rifle 7.62mm M14

Post by Culpeper »

Yep, I have seen the different ways of mounting the bipod too. My thoughts on the matter stems from an old guy who was in the Army in early Sixties and he told me the bipods were originally installed forward towards the muzzle and pulled to the rear to deploy. He also said that not too many of these stocks were fielded and at a certain point it became a matter of did you have a bipod and is the sling set so you don't break the handle off. He has since moved on the Great Gun Range in the Sky.

Happy Shooting!
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

I was armed with the M14 in 1963-66 and usually volunteered to be the guy with the selector switch and bipod. (This was before the E2 was widely issued - never saw one in service.)

I can vouch from experience that the bipod was mounted so as to fold forward for carrying. It was a substantial, lumpy assemblage of hard steel that would have been uncomfortable either at sling arms or shoulder arms had it been folded back over the forearm.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Yeah I could see that. Was flipping it around more of a Adapt and Over Come?

I was issued an m60E3 until the 240G replaced it. then I was issued an M2. The good thing was I was in Arty so if you can't truck it F--K it!

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . Was flipping it around more of a Adapt and Over Come?

Beats me! Mine came to me in fold-forward condition, the first one in AIT at Ft. Dix and the next in Germany.

Note that the two GI "comic books" above show the bipod in different orientations. The "E2" pamphlet shows fold-back while the "A1" has fold-forward.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Yeah I noticed that about the comic showing it both ways.

My stock was never used, but from what I have heard many of the E2 stocks were marred by the feet of the bipod. Not arguing anything here, just noting it. I think I will try flipping it just for giggles.