M1895 Winchester Musket

Other Firearms
reincarnated

Re: M1895 Winchester Musket

Post by reincarnated »

I will be very interested to learn how accurate the 95 is, off the sandbags at 100 or 200 yards. How will it compare with an ordinary Krag?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the winds of Perry on the firing line!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Your curiousity and mine. I went to the National Target Company and picked up a bundle of SR targets the other day so I could shoot to two hundred yards and have the proper target.

Turnbull will be returning my original front sight and an extra one that was made but was too short. So between the three of them I had a sight I can use. I had to aim about four inches above the 12 for the rifle to shooting near the one inch black dot at fifty yards last Saturday. So the next time out is will have to be at a hundred. Maybe I can convince Annapolis to shoot it. Also I was shooting to the right by an inch or so. Lucky me I found out afterward there is windage adjustment in the rear sight. It is friction held and is tight and stiff enough to hold its position.

So the problems as it stands is the carrier cam lever is not lifting the carrier cradle high enough for round four and five, the front sight height and a hundred pound trigger pull. Yikes!

Stay tuned here from further developments

Camp Perry 2017 or bust.

Speaking of Camp Perry. Can one shoot two rifles in the vintage match?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Nope... unlike local matches, you can only shoot one rifle per category. Just shoot your Krag this year and shoot the Winchester next year! I've seen one of your Krags, and it's a beaut!

By the way... did you happen to get the correct carrier cam lever on the way?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I think I did. Numrich says it is stamped with an A but the crap shoot is did Winchester make minute tweaks over the span of production? Should be here next week.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I hope that solves your 'feed' problem. You have a neat looking Winchester!Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Thanks! The action is slicker than owl crap when I loaded it three at a time. Almost as good as Krag 3140. Truth be told I did buy it for its looks.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

If I remember the ad correctly, one of those guys has a Krag.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Sssssh..... (man in black, 5th from the right, I think it's Dick Hosmer?).

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Got my original front site back on the rifle. Test firing on sunday.