1922 ShtLe No. I Mk. V

Other Firearms
Jeremy T Garner

1922 ShtLe No. I Mk. V

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

Had another chance at a very low serial number arm (54) that I just couldn't pass up. I stumbled across this No I Mk V trials rifle and just had to have it. This was always one of my favorite looking SMLE rifles the British ever did. Now to find a Pattern 13 trials rifle and my British collection will be nearly complete :)ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: 1922 ShtLe No. I Mk. V

Post by butlersrangers »

Jeremy - That is a nice Short M.L.E. Mark V.

With British stuff, there is always some model that eludes the grasp!Image

Jeremy T Garner

Thanks Chuck! Boy you aren't whistling Dixie on the British collection always having an elusive item. That is an absolute truth :)

By the way you always have awesome photos to accompany your posts! Thank you for sharing them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My Aunt's father, Jimmy Miller, from Wick, Scotland in South Africa, probably around 1906. Rifle is a S.M.L.E. Mark I. Note 'sliding charger-guide' on bolt-head and 'wind-gauge' (windage adjustable) rear sight. Cool Dog, too!Image

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Here is another Brit military that is not in most collections. An Alexander Henry trials rifle. made in May 1869, subcontracted from AH by BSA. Caliber is .450 Boxer-Henry Long. The original cartridges were composite brass & paper, like an old paper shotgun shell. Cartridges were too long to function in the Martini action, but the Brits liked the load, 84 gr Fg and a 480 grain bullet, so the .577/450 Martini-Henry was dreamed up.

I fireform .450 3 1/4" BPE thin rim cases from Jamison International and they work well, probably better than the 1869 originals. I know why they put all those retaining springs on bands and cleaning rods. This rifle has none of those and everything comes loose at every shot.

I have shot this rifle in two 1,000 yard 10-shot "hit or miss" matches. 2 hits on a 6-foot steel disk out of 20 shots fired for record. Big purple bruise on my arm.Image

Jeremy T Garner

That's one hell of a fine looking rifle! Aside from the purple bruise I bet she is a real joy to shoot.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am impressed with reincarnated's Alexander-Henry trials rifle!

I like my 'short-lever' Martini Henrys. With three, I can stack them!

ImageImage

Jeremy T Garner

Nice looking Martini Henry's there! A long lever Martini Henry and a 577 Snider Artillery Carbine have been on my to acquire list for awhile now. Big bore British armament is something I do not have at the moment.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I bet you don't have a B.S.A. Bicycle to sling your S.M.L.E. on either!

Jeremy T Garner

Hahaha, you are correct in that assumption. Boy don't give me any ideas though! ;)