Trapdoor - ready for range - before & after

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Trapdoor - ready for range - before & after

Post by butlersrangers »

I posted pictures of this paint spattered, rusty, incomplete, 1873 Springfield, about 1 1/2 years ago.

I slowly found appropriate missing parts and now have her ready for a Range Session.

I'm looking forward to giving her a try! (The bore is quite decent).

Some "Before" pictures:
ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Trapdoor - ready for range - before & after

Post by butlersrangers »

Some 'After' photos. Does anyone have an idea on the marking on the left-side of Butt?ImageImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Pretty sweet looking rod there, ole friend! I'll bet it's a sweet shooter too! Are you going to shoot the factory ammo, or BP loads?

FredC

Post by FredC »

That represents a lot of work in a year and 1/2, nicely done!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul & Fred: Thanks - The worst part was removing the paint from the wood. Surface rust on metal was smoothed with the edge of a penny and a 50/50 solution of mineral spirits & linseed oil. The metal took on a pleasing patina when I burnished it with the same solution and the edge of a popsicle stick. I was fortunate to find 'experienced' parts with the same look. (Parts were the hard job and why it took so long. Finding good parts with patina at a good price).

It is fun to put one back together, while so many U.S. Military arms are being 'parted out'.

I plan on reloading .45-70 'cast bullet loads' using both Black Powder and Smokeless loadings. (I am kind of tired of cleaning Black Powder). I have some IMR-4759 and would like to try a new propellant called 'Black Horn 209'.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Looks great - nice job. Have seen a lot of TDs with the odd paint spatter, and have picked plenty of said material out of the grain with a needle and toothbrush.