1899 Remington Lee

Other Firearms
Culpeper

1899 Remington Lee

Post by Culpeper »

I've got it in my mind that I want to try and find and acquire a '99 Remington Lee. I know what your thinking. It's a fool's errand. Here be the fool.

Would you guys be willing to help me in the search since I am here in Derkaland? I am looking of one in good shape and has all of its parts and does not involve me selling blood or plasma, arms and legs, or being a toy providing "favors" for elderly women. Moonshining and likker running, however, is good to go.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Re: 1899 Remington Lee

Post by butlersrangers »

'Culpeper' - What is "Derkaland"? .... And what's wrong with being a 'Boy Toy' for an Elderly Woman? That rogue, Ben Franklin, said "they really appreciate it" !

I can't help you on a model 1899 Remington Lee, because, I also lust for one. It's a Michigan thing!Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Derka land is Afghanistan or any locale where derka is spoken meaning the mid east region or Flint and a few other places in Michigan.

Hmmmmm. Maybe we have been taking Ol' Ben's words in the wrong way for two hundred years when he said Early to bed, Early to rise. Maybe he was getting his groove on with the ladies in the morning and not like the rest of the slackers who were tuckered out after a day of slaving at work. Shrewd guy that Franklin.

Maybe that Guardsman will sell his rifle. Great picture.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Almost 50 years of gunshows, maybe I have seen a couple, not more. But they do show up. If you can find someone who is going to the big shows in Las Vegas or Reno, those would be where they are likely to show up. Maybe you can find someone who attends regularly & is into 19th Century militaria to hunt for one. Maybe you could put in a standing order. I don't know who to suggest.

Another source might be the big auction houses; Amoskeag, Julia, Rock Island, Cowan's. I don't know if they help in such searches, but they might. I think you will pay a lot for one.

I

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Most of the model 1899 Remington-Lee Rifles, I have seen, were cut-down to be 'Deer Rifles'. The full length 'as issued' ones, I have seen at shows, were repaired in the stock-wrist area. The Remington-Lee was a fragile rifle compared to the Krag.

Here's my Mom's Uncle, Bernard Grimmeke, (first soldier kneeling on left) in photo. (Michigan State Troops at 1900 encampment, named - "Ft. Bliss", at Manistee, Mi.). Note - Sergeants have Krag equipment.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hey Paul.... You looking to go to Perry next year with a Remington Lee now??? LOL

Chuck and I will have to check the next Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show in February.

I'm looking for my own next competition rifle - a 1903A3 so I can shoot Springfield and score the three gun aggregate! Time to start selling on EBay....

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

A Remington Lee to Camp Perry? Did not think about that but I do like the way you think. No, it is an idea from several years ago to have a Rem-Lee to go with the Win-Lee's and the 1895 and the Krags. One way is the Lee connection and the other way is the .30-40 connection.

The problem is I found a Remington Lee a few hours after I wrote the request. The person wants 3200 bucks for it and boy is it purty. The other problem is I am over here for the next year and do not have anyone to pick it up for me.

I sent Butlersrangers a pm so he could have first bite at the apple while I fiddle with my thumbs trying to figure out how to make this happen. Anybody want to buy a rifle and sell/transfer to me next year while I am on vacation?

Well you could borrow my A3 if I was back in the States. I certain there a hundreds of A3s on gunbroker or you could put the word out on the WTB section over on the CMP forum. Those guys are a good bunch.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I would love to borrow an A3 from you Paul.... IF you WERE here! I looked at Gunbroker, but they are all way out of my price reach. I had a chance to get a Smith Corona or Remington (there were several) at Camp Perry during Nationals week last year, but I didn't have the money and passed. Then, this last July, they didn't have any. I'm looking to keep it under a thousand. I know a guy who has several to sell, but they are all repaired parade rifles that had had the magazine cutoffs welded (he fixes them to working order). Legal for CMP use, but not appealing to me. I'll keep my ears to the ground though...

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I think the guys on CMP would be you best bet. Just post a WTB and see what happens. Make sure to state no drill rifles.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

And No "National Ordnance" or "Santa Fe Arms" receivers!