1899 Remington Lee

Other Firearms
reincarnated

Re: 1899 Remington Lee

Post by reincarnated »

If I had an 1899 Remington Lee on the list of things I really wanted, seems to me that $3200 is not too far out of line.

Once upon a time, I wanted an original Winchester Lee Navy. I had $2500 in the cookie jar, but by then the price had jumped to $4K. Then the news of the fatal accident went round and I no longer needed one.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I read about Glenn deRuiter's unfortunate event after I had bought two Winchester-Lees. Then there was the blow up November 2014 that destroyed another rifle but the gentleman lived. It appears both were using resized .30-40 brass and fast powder. I do not think there would be a problem if they, or anyone else for that matter, were to use 220 Swift brass for their loadings.

I do not have too much fear of my rifles since I am sitting on something like 140 pieces of 6mm USN brass. The only problem I have is coming up with a proper load with a proper powder. Sharpe's book is the only place that mentions some powders as we know them. The references in the original War Dept. pamplets are for a long obsolete powder. The only ones I reckonize is 2400 and 4064 and that is from a Sharpe's book written in 1938.

I will not use 220 swift loads as a foundation for the 6mm. They are way to hot.

Go ahead and save your money and get a Win-Lee. See you on the line at Camp Perry.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"They don't make um like they use to"!

Powder manufacturers, ownership, identifying numbers and data have changed so much in the last 25 years, it makes my head spin. IMHO - There is nothing all that new in propellants. Brands and numbers just change.

I kind of like to stay with the IMR-powders for continuity. I have other powder brands, I started using 20 years ago, that are not available anymore.

Like RCA-Victor phonograph Records use to say: "Buy without fear of obsolescence" ..... Ha Ha Ha!

"I love the smell of Whistler & Aspinwall in the morning". ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I stick to IMR also for continuity. I do use Accurate 5744 in my cast loads... and a couple others for pistol loads, but for my main rifles, it's IMR. For what it's worth, IMR 4350 is the closest to the Laflin & Rand .30 powder used in the original .30 USA round, although it's double based.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Well, it looks like I have to put of my dream of the 1899 on hold. Reality is a bummer as the hippies of old used to say. I am only 47G away from a paid off house and 3200 would go a long way towards that goal. Oh why did I have to look at my financials on January 1st?

Perhaps I should sell some of my krag carbine sights for a profit and put the money to the house.

Hmmmmmm. :-?

Nope. ;)
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Saw one on Gunbroker this AM; would post number but GB is acting up right now and will not perform a search.

Bad news, stock has been cut, and hand-guard is missing.

Good news, everything else (except upper band/tip bits) appears to be there, and barrel has not been cut! Lower band still there, so stock can be stretched.

Further good news, it is cheap, and has no reserve. Possible project piece for someone with more time than immediate money.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You've 'smoked me out' Dick!

I have been watching that one for months. I have been tempted. The description of the bore is not too promising: "dark, strong rifling", (whatever that means).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

32nd Michigan (MNG) - Grand Rapids, circa 1900.

"We've got the special Mills Belts ... We've got the Bayonets ... Where are our Remington - Lees" !

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sorry Chuck, didn't mean to divulge anyone's secret. :-(

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

There were earlier Remington-Lee rifles in .45-70 and some in .43 Spanish. They are not common, but are probably more common than the 1899 models. Might the wood & hardware be similar? Or, since one of us might be doing a 50-50 restoration, how about parts from a Lee-Metford?

Dark, strong rifling? I have an 1886 Portuguese Kropatschek in 8x60R and a Siamese Mauser 8x50R that would fit that description. Jacketed bullets only, and maybe 3 to 4" groups at 100 yards at best. Paper plate accuracy.

Or might the forearm wood & bands from a No. 5 Remington Rolling Block (one of the 7mm jobs) fit (+/-). Those were in production around the same time. I'm willing to bet that Remington did not make special parts just for the few 1899 rifles they sold.